Timed Charging Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Gazidfour

Post by Gazidfour »

Hi, I have tries timed charging using the vehicle timed charge function.
When the time came to charge the car would only charge at a rate of 2.7kw (8mph range).
I tried charging without the timed function and every thing is fine at 7.2kw (26mph range).
I also tried charging using the timed function from my POD-POINT charger and everything is fine e at 7.2kw.
It seems that for some reason when using the vehicle timer function it reduces the charge rate.
Anyone else noticed this problem.
Id4 1st Edition, Glacier White Metalic.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

The same issue seems a common occurrences on the iD3 forum. Worth having a look at that one too.
jaID4

Post by jaID4 »

I have an ID.4 1st edition and Pod Point Solo home charger. So far done a couple of successful charges by just plugging in, without using any 'departure times' on the car or the Pod Point schedules. My charging speed seems to be as expected at about 25-30mph.

However, can anyone clarify the Pod Point scheduled charging function? I set my first one for 00:30-4:30 this morning (Octopus Go low rate period), but when I checked at 7am it hadn't charged.

As I recall, my process was:
1. set an active schedule on the Pod Point app for the required charging time (Tuesday 00:30-4:30), didn't have any other days active.
2. plugged in at about 7pm monday night, car started charging automatically, then I stopped charging by dragging the slider on the WeConnectID app, expecting it to start again at the scheduled time.
3. checked tuesday morning and car hadn't charged. (thankfully I'd done this as a test, and still had 55% of battery)

I've had a look at the ID3 forum, and people seem to be saying you need to have an active Pod Point schedule set for every day of the week for it to work. Apparently this means that the car won't automatically charge when you plug it in to your Pod Point, unless you set the current day as inactive.
I'll try again tonight, and assume that my issues were: (a) not having active schedules for every day, and (b) stopping charging on the WeConnectID app somehow blocking the Pod Point scheduled charge?

Would be good if WeConnectID and Pod Point apps talked to each other, and had a more intuitive system for timed charging! Hopefully they'll both continue to be updated and will improve in future.
jaID4

Post by jaID4 »

An update:
- On the pod point app I set all days of the week to have an active schedule 00:30-04:30
- Plugged in last night at about 8pm (pod point shows a steady yellow light)
- Checked this morning on the WeConnect ID app at 7am: car successfully charged to the 80% upper limit I have set 👍
- not sure exactly what times the charging started and stopped as yet, not showing up in the pod point app
MrT

Post by MrT »

I can concur with jaID4, my pod point solo set to a 00:30 - 04:30 works perfectly well.

The pod point LED shows steady yellow and the ID4 initially shows solid white before going out.

Point to note that the POD point app only shows the time that the car was plugged in and removed and not the time that it was being charged. (had to refer to my supplier Octopus website to check the actual charge time and rate - 3.6kW hr every 30 mins)
jaID4

Post by jaID4 »

Same here MrT.

I can see my half hourly meter readings on the octopus app- strangely the charging by seemed to start at 23:30 and not 00:30 though, not sure why - might have to check that with pod point as well. I’ve sent feedback to pod point via the app to find out why I’m not seeing charging data.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Received this reply from Podpoint regarding the charge data (see photo)

42893292-1414-4A49-8CA4-EDC459D69CED.png

jaID4

Post by jaID4 »

Interesting reply from podpoint- doesn’t make sense though as my cable was removed after charging, as I assume yours was MrT?

I’m trying my second scheduled charge tonight- same process as before. Just plugged in and noticed a red light on the ID4 charge port, stayed on for a while then went out. I assume it was just the car thinking there was a charging fault as it wasn’t receiving any electricity. I’ll see what happens overnight, hopefully will charge successfully as it did last time!

*update in the morning: another successful charge, to 80%, started at the correct time and this time I got the correct charging data on the podpoint app as well 👍