Wireless charging for Smartphone

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

Just picked up my new ID4 1st edition and wondered if there was wireless charging for smartphones. Ive watched a couple of UK reviews who mention that it does , but I can’t find it on the brochure. If it does is there any hint/tip to get out working? Thanks in advance

MWATERFIELD

Post by MWATERFIELD »

Hi Sandie,
No. The UK ID4 1st edition does not have the built-in wireless Qi charging pad. The later models seem to have it and to me personally seems a bit of a cheap move not including it on the 1st Edition especially as the car has wireless Carplay and Android Auto. ID3 was the same.
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

Thank you for your reply. Yes it does seem a cheap move, especially as the dealer has must told me that it does have the wireless charging and you need to have the cover off. No wonder I couldn’t get it to work no matter how I put the phone in 😊
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

This is odd. Took my ID4 for a test drive before I bought it and the wireless charger worked. Picked it up yesterday and it’s not working. Emailed the dealer awaiting their reply but it definitely worked the other day, the salesman witnessed it too.
ID.4 1st edition
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Seems like we were imagining it. The 1st edition doesn’t have it.
Amazon have charge pads that’ll fit the space, I’ve ordered one and will post results later, it arrives tomorrow. I do know it will require a usb c to usb adaptor though.
ID.4 1st edition
MrT

Post by MrT »

Please see previous ‘ID4 positives’ post for info on installing Amazon charge pad into ID4 FE.
MWATERFIELD

Post by MWATERFIELD »

I ordered the following from Amazon. Non slip and fits in the cubby where the Qi charger is located on higher / newer specs and with no messy cable tangles:
Qi charger:

USB C to USB C short cable:

Total cost £27 and I expect cheaper alternatives are available but I wanted the higher charge rate and a decent make (Spigen) charge pad.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

AndyF wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:02 pm Seems like we were imagining it. The 1st edition doesn’t have it.
Amazon have charge pads that’ll fit the space, I’ve ordered one and will post results later, it arrives tomorrow. I do know it will require a usb c to usb adaptor though.
Strangely the charging pad I ordered worked fine with a standard usb lead into a mains adapter but didn’t work in the car via my adapter. Sent it back and refunded right away.
I’ve ordered a different one off eBay 🤞🏻It’s due next week. It has usb c input so should be fine. I’ll let you know.
ID.4 1st edition
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

MWATERFIELD wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 am I ordered the following from Amazon. Non slip and fits in the cubby where the Qi charger is located on higher / newer specs and with no messy cable tangles:
Qi charger:

Total cost £27 and I expect cheaper alternatives are available but I wanted the higher charge rate and a decent make (Spigen) charge pad.
Looks tidy, I like the short cable, might get one of those.
ID.4 1st edition
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

AndyF wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:32 am
MWATERFIELD wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 am I ordered the following from Amazon. Non slip and fits in the cubby where the Qi charger is located on higher / newer specs and with no messy cable tangles:
Qi charger:

Looks tidy, I like the short cable, might get one of those.
I ordered that very same cable and the wireless chargers I have still won’t work. I have however, noticed that the front two usb c sockets are full usb c whereas the Back two are power only. I can’t see any reason why they don’t work in the front two, my I phone cable works and the MagSafe vent mount (usb c) works fine which is wireless between the mount and the phone. Maybe the wireless pads are the problem. Already sent one back. Baffled.
ID.4 1st edition