New OTA software due soon? (12 weeks since 0792)

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

One suggestion I can make is to check your battery charge level. Here's an extract from the email I received from VW prior to the actual OTA update.

"For the over-the-air update to be successful, please ensure your ID. has a minimum charge level of 50%. During installation, the vehicle can neither be used nor charged. Please finish the charging process before starting the installation".
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2

CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

CoxJul wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:58 pm I got the pre-update update today (Sat 16). As I got in the car this afternoon the alerts set off and I knew something was happening - just as I was off shopping.

A few hours later, back home, I started the update. Not sure how long it took and apart from a message saying the system was completing the update when I got in a couple of hours later there's not a lot to show so far. I'm still on 0792 (v2.1). Seen mention of this pre-update update that updates the OTA capabilities before the main v2.3 update; expecting that to drop over the next few days.

As I was writing this I've just seen Warrior's latest confirmation of v2.3 dropping 24 hours or so after this pre-update update.

Well now they're taking the pi$$... Now a week later and no sign of the main update. Are VW running a lottery or something. It's been 4.5 months since my first post in this thread which was 12 weeks (3 months) after the previous version and they were just announce the 'imminent' 2.3 rollout. So much for their regular 3 month/quarterly updates. With software such an important aspect of the modern EV, both in terms of the infotainment but more importantly the software in the multiple controllers, VW are majorly screwing this up despite what they say in slick videos like this 4 months ago:

CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

...and another week passes - still nothing. It is now well over 7 months since v2.3 was announced - the first of the regular 3 monthly updates.
I shall continue to tell anyone that asks not to buy a VW ID.x at the moment and why - that's at least 2-3 a week.

While YouTubers will continue to be right with videos like this...

exwayf

Post by exwayf »

Not sure what is happening to CoxJul. I have just spent a week in Devon where the mobile signal ranged from nothing (unless you stood by a particular lamppost!) to 3G (never seen that before in the car) to 4G. I has some anxiety doing the update away from home but over 3 days the update was installed, I never drove more than 20 minutes at a time but this seemed to be sufficient for downloads to happen. Having read other comments I tried to be patient and followed the on screen messages. There seemed to be 3 events.

1. The small update to prepare the system for the main one. This made ACC give various warning messages.
2. The main update.
3. Following on from this the Help Manual/Vehicle Wall was updated.

To allow the installs I always left the car overnight doing whatever it wanted. My message for the update is allow time.

I notice a few changes, mainly cosmetic, but the car completed my return from holiday (140 miles) without any obvious issues. I am still trying to decide whether Navigation is better than Google Maps via Auto Android. They both have pros & cons. Google is better at warning about traffic congestion, Navigation displays temporary speed limits - most of the time correctly - and allows ACC to adapt.

It looks like there has been a minor change to WeConnect and the app was updated on 21 Oct. and has not crashed when home charging since then. It now says Whoops something has gone wrong (I suspect this a failure to make a connection) but now it leaves the app running and sorts is self out in a few minutes. So some progress on the software front.
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Completely agree about the update installation and minor changes.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
tkid

Post by tkid »

Received the first part of the 2.3 update on the 31st and the second part today. Interestingly a third update popped up afterwards, so installed that too.

The only weird thing that has happened post updates is that an error regarding the Front Assist not being available popped up, but went away afterwards.

Edit: Android Auto no longer fills the entire screen to the left of the main menu button. It is now contained inside a window such that you can see your background colour framing the app. Very disappointing. :x
wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

Finally got all the updates. The driver assist errors popped up on a trip at the weekend and then the updates started to appear and download. Had a few failures but eventually the final update completed installing last night. Not the smoothest experience but hopefully VW will get much better at this over the coming years. Hopefully.
ID.4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
MyEnergi Zappi 2
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Hallellujah!! 2.3 has installed!

Like others there was the 170 minute update that I let to run overnight; the following day there was a manual download and a couple of other updates to perform (update to the We Charge app?).

Not letting VW off the hook just yet though - I expect to now see more regular updates and a significant improvement in functionality, performance and usability that befits a car of this price from "the world's largest car company".
karlwoolley

Post by karlwoolley »

I have had the update available for a while, but it never installs and I have the Christmas tree of warning lights...

Couple of things I have observed:
  • It thinks my windows are open when they are not, this may be blocking the update? (I know to turn side lights off).
  • The update is 0MB in file size, so maybe it's not fully downloaded, or there is some corruption?

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

ID.4 1st Edition
karlwoolley

Post by karlwoolley »

Quick update - managed to fix the "windows open" issue:
  • Held down the "rear" touch button for the windows until it flashed.
  • Lowered all the windows, then raised them all - on first attempt, the rear ones only half closed, so repeated the steps again and closed all four windows.
This process cleared that message and I was able to choose to install the update, however, it doesn't appear the update has taken (still also shows as 0MB), so I have just tried it again and will see how it is in the morning.
ID.4 1st Edition