Loss of displayed battery range

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
SplodgerDodger

Post by SplodgerDodger »

Have now done less than 1000 miles in a new id 4 max, and notice that the maximum battery range as displayed in car has fallen from 330 miles, by about 50 miles. So charging to 90% shows a predicted range of 258 miles - based on this, when fully charged, we'd expect the vehicle to show a maximum range of 283 miles on the vehicle display . A 50 mile loss in notional range in a month of use seems rather concerning.

We have been careful to charge to 80% and have gone to 100% only once but are concerned that this loss in capacity is real.

Alternatively is the vehicle software actually now calculating and displaying a realistic range based on observed usage pattern?
??

Munchi3

Post by Munchi3 »

The car range is calculated constantly based on your recent usage, so based on your car range displayed now is pretty good.

330 is very optimistic, ev database website is quoting 250 miles as real world estimate from a fully charged battery.
ID.4 Life 52kWh Pure in Scale Silver

Ordered - 21/06/21
Build - Provisional build week 43
Joluke

Post by Joluke »

Does that mean that if we have been driving faster than usual the range displayed on full charge will be less ?
Unionjack

Post by Unionjack »

So the range is normally calculated on your driving style, if you accelerate fast or just drive fast this will effect how many miles are displayed that you have from being fully charged, but as you drive more sensibly this will adjust on the fly so to speak, so it seems to even its self out.

On a Renault Zoe there was a procedure where you could reset the figures to factory settings, Peugeot's don't seem to have this or if they have it has to be done via a terminal. Im picking up my ID4 tomorrow so I will ask the service department if this is possible.
ID.4 Life 52kWh Pure in Manganese Grey
Joluke

Post by Joluke »

Hi I put my new id4 on charge last night and it was charging for 11 hours but only increased mileage by 40 miles . Any ideas anyone?
tkid

Post by tkid »

How are you charging it at home - via mains socket or dedicated charger? Have you tried charging at a public charging station?
Joluke

Post by Joluke »

Home pod point socket, displayed range has dropped from original 230 miles now only showing 180 on 100 % charge.
Rreading other questions on here it seems that in winter we are going to get less as wipers, headlights and heating etc will all reduce mileage.
Not very happy as when we asked at time of purchase we were told this was powered from a sep battery source so would not affect range .
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

@joluke That’s a serious degradation. Think you need to talk to dealer!
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Many of the car's bits such as wipers, fans, headlights etc do run on a separate 12v system like a conventional car. The 12v does still need to be charged by the car on the move - I assume there's an indirect impact on the main battery if this is dynamically adjusted based on use of the 12v system.
MrCrispi

Post by MrCrispi »

Don’t underestimate the effect of ambient temperature on mileage range reported by the car …our Zoe 4 displays a range of over 190 miles on a warm sunny day and more like 145 in the winter…some of what is being seen maybe no more than seasonal effects…