Adaptive Cruise Control & Navigation– Issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
exwayf

Post by exwayf »

ACC generally works well but I have found some quirks.

• Speed limits are sometimes incorrect. Recently I was travelling along the M27, junctions 9 to 3 where there are extensive road works and an average 50mph speed limit. With ACC on, the speed limit changed from 50 to 60 back to 50 to 60 back to 50. Any thoughts on what was the system doing and where did it get these limits from.
  • Similarly, travelling through the New Forest which has a 40 mph limit, I kept getting warnings that the speed limit was 30mph and ACC wanted to drop to 30. Interestingly, going along one road it said 30, on the return journey it gave 40 for the opposite direction.
  • Traveling on a motorway, at 65, it warned me of a bend and wanted to slow to 28 (this was a gentle curve) and then of a roundabout ahead. This was as I approached a junction but was continuing on the motorway. I was using a chosen route on Navigation.
  • Using Navigation on a selected route the light above dashboard indicates when to turn left or right, but does not appear to given any indication when you have to turn left or right at a roundabout. Am I missing something?
  • It can be too enthusiastic when going round some bends. It might be a 60mph limit for the road but for some bends I would slow down a bit.
Have others experienced such issues?
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)

karlwoolley

Post by karlwoolley »

Hi, I think I can probably say that I have experienced a few of your issues at times, but I would say that they are a rarity for me. The one that is most annoying is the slowing down to 20 for a bend from 50 or so. I keep meaning to tweak the driver assistance settings to my liking, but never got round to it.

I actually have an ACC error at the moment, where it had been fine all day then suddenly on the most recent journey, was intermittently flashing up as being unavailable. I suspect this is due to a dirty/obscured sensor, so I will go and have a look at that in a bit; it's something I used to see on my Touareg in the snow.
ID.4 1st Edition
karlwoolley

Post by karlwoolley »

A quick clean just below the VW badge (the radar sensor control unit sits behind here, you can see the black box if you lift your bonnet) looks like it did the trick for me, although it was only covered in a few bugs... we shall see, I guess.
ID.4 1st Edition
AlB59

Post by AlB59 »

Similar ACC experiences to exwayf. The scariest ones were when my WW ID.4 decided that it needed to slow to 30mph from 70 mph while driving on the motorway. This occurred as I was passing motorway exit sliproads. Maybe the car detected 30 mph roadsigns and got confused? It certainly caused some unexpected tailgating by cars immediately behind me so I've lost some confidence in ACC. I also need to disable lane assist every time I "start" the car as it has not learned how to deal with narrow A-roads and I'm not a fan of fighting with my car over my lane position.