Declining Range

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Radley

Post by Radley »

I have an ID4 Pure (52KWH) which was purchased new on 1st Sept 2021. The car came with an advertised range of 217 miles and indeed showed this figure upon delivery. Having now owned the vehicle nearly four months and covered only around 2000 miles the maximum range I can achieve at an 80% charge is 125 miles. This is simply not usable. I like the car but the range is becoming a real issue. Does anyone else have this same problem?

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

The advertised range is WLTP fully charged. You can expect a lot lower in the real world. I have the 77kWh battery and WLTP was advertised at 311 miles. In the real world I estimate this would be somewhere around 260 and with the colder weather with us, I would expect even less. I'm afraid it's one of the downsides of an electric car.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
andy

Post by andy »

Hi

The colder days and darker days are certainly taking a hit on the range as you would imagine. ID4 Max, which has the heat pump but not sure what it’s doing, 10 weeks in now with 6500 miles on the clock and consumption has dropped from around 3.1 average to 2.7. Typical day yesterday 150 miles during daylight all motorway driving 2.9, returned at 19:00 same journey 2.5. It is was it is. My biggest frustration is the slow recharge rate on the big KWH chargers!!!!!
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Firstly, thanks for the posts Andy. To help me with context, are you driving in both or one journey with heated seats, cabin heating (20C+), radio and Satnav on?

Not suggesting that’s unreasonable, just interested to understand if similar context for both journeys.
Thanks
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

At 90% charge I'm getting a range of around 230 Mostly motorway driving round trip 120 mils a day.
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Hi Bruce, typically what speed do you set cruise to when getting 230 miles?
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

Hi, I use ACC so whatever the speed limit is thats what the car does distance and speed of traffic allowing, the vast majority of my commute is M25. A/C is generally set to 20.5c . I use Apple Airplay Sat Nav and mostly listen to radio at moderate volume. ATM use Headlights both ways, wipers and defrosters as required. Generally driving in B mode off motorway and D mode on motorways unless the M25 is in orbital car park mode then I switch to B.
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Bruce, thank you. That is incredibly useful. A real insight. Thanks for taking the time.
👍
alanwright

Post by alanwright »

I also have a 1st Edition from March 2021 and for the first month was getting 310mls on a full charge, but now with lights,heating,HRW,wipers I am getting 210 on a full charge and 185 @ 80%
Apparently the computer works out your usage and deducts that off the charge so that you know that what you have is what you get !
exwayf

Post by exwayf »

We are getting 230 on 80% charge. This is typically local driving in the South with a bit of restricted motorway (50mph). We are using heated seats rather than A/C, also found that if you have Climate Control switched on with nothing working, i.e. fan set to 'zero' you get a bit of draft to keep side windows clear, whereas if you switch off Climate Control the side windows mist up.
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)