Electric drive not working correctly

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Got this message yesterday - didn't seem to cause any issues driving the car - wondering if it is a software glitch or something to worry about???

20211128_150021.jpg

ID.4 Life Pro Performance in Honey Yellow since 5th November 2021

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Has the error message gone away now and not re-appeared? If you are still getting the message, I would get it looked at by the dealer as soon as possible. One other thought. Have you had the software update yet? If your car is in the process of downloading, it can cause some spurious error messages to show. Myself and several others have noticed this.
Last edited by Warrior on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
VWPilot

Post by VWPilot »

I had this just over a week ago. Tried the usual of leaving and locking the car but it didn't disappear. Took car to workshop but stopped at Post Office on way. Message disappeared prior to leaving Post Office. Went to workshop anyway as it is only 3 miles away and they had a look within 10 minutes. Nothing showing on Faults list and they put it down to a software glitch.
Glacier White ID4 Max Pro with 20" Drammen Alloys. B.D.
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Thanks VWPilot. I'm hoping it is a software glitch and can be sorted quickly.
No difference today, so I've booked the car in with the service centre tomorrow. Fingers crossed the message disappears during the 8 mile drive to the workshop!
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

So after discussions between the service team at the dealer and VW Technical Services, it has been concluded that the problem is the coolant pump and it needs to be replaced! Unfortunately until it is replaced (part on back order!!!) I am unable to drive it...

Having done some reading on another VW forum, it appears this is not an isolated case!

Not a good start to my life with the ID.4 :(
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Whilst not the ideal outcome, I'm glad it has been diagnosed and can be fixed. I've also picked up on the fact that this has been a common occurrence in the USA.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

So the coolant pump has been replaced, tested and all seems OK. I now have the car back :D :D and ready to use for the weekend
VWoldschool

Post by VWoldschool »

ADMIT wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:33 pm So after discussions between the service team at the dealer and VW Technical Services, it has been concluded that the problem is the coolant pump and it needs to be replaced! Unfortunately until it is replaced (part on back order!!!) I am unable to drive it...

Having done some reading on another VW forum, it appears this is not an isolated case!

Not a good start to my life with the ID.4 :(
Hi can you you let me know how you got on discussing this with VW as I may have something similar ?
VWoldschool

Post by VWoldschool »

I am asking about this as my ID4 Life Pro Performance just suddenly decided to shudder and stop right in the middle of the road this weekend, without warning. It gave me the same error message of the electric drive. I got out to check if I had been hit and then the car started to drive again when I got back in, with the displayed fault. When I stopped and restarted after 20 minutes the fault had gone from the display. I called out the AA when I got home and they saw the fault code in the history and took me to VW. My local VW main dealer say they can not see the fault code as it has been cleared. Any help with this appreciated. A 3 month old car with 2500 on the clock should not be doing that. I had 120 miles of charge and no other warning.
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

I also had this message - Electric Drive not working (Amber not Red) for a couple of days. I was advised to ring breakdown service though I was at home - they initially said they would come out but then phoned back and was told to book it in with dealer as not safe to deal with it on drive. Couldn't get appt for 3 weeks but was assured that would be ok in the meantime. The next day the warning light disappeared - left it for a couple of weeks then cancelled appt assuming software fault. That was a couple of months ago and no problem since though I did have a warning the other day that I think said something about coolant but it went off after about 5 minutes so no time to investigate. Car seems ok. More worried about it than I was after reading these posts especially as I am going away this weekend.