Dimming the rear view mirror?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
markkernw

Post by markkernw »

Has anyone found a way to manually dim the rear view mirror in the ID? I HATE the auto-dimming as it doesn't stop me being dazzled in the daytime by vehicles with bright daytime running lights. Why on early do car manufacturers think everything has to be electronic (there is some over-engineering in cars now that works better as a manual function - and the rear view mirror dimming is one).

There's quite a number of functions in the ID EVs from VW that are NOT intuitively designed. I keep trying to do things as I drive along and failing. Half hour googling when I get home and then I stumble on the 'trick' to doing stuff. So frustrating.

exwayf

Post by exwayf »

I am not sure you can.

This is from a PDF of the manual

Automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror
When the ignition is switched on, the sensors measure the incident light from the rear → Fig. 94 1 and from the front 2 . The interior mirror dims automatically de- pending on the values measured.
If the incident light on the sensors is hindered or interrupted, e.g. by a sun blind or other hanging objects, the automatic anti- dazzle interior mirror will not function or will not function correctly. Mobile navigation devices attached to the windscreen or near the interior automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror can also influence the sensors

The automatic anti-dazzle function will be deactivated in some situations, e.g. when re- verse gear is engaged.

May be some tape strategically placed??
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)
markkernw

Post by markkernw »

as I suspected, tho the bit of tape over the sensor is an interesting one to explore... Personally speaking, why can't we have the old school manual rear view dip mirrors? Why does everything need to be electric. Mind was blown when I found out the door handles are electric sensors rather than a classic pull handle! Progress ey?!
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

markkernw wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:33 pm as I suspected, tho the bit of tape over the sensor is an interesting one to explore... Personally speaking, why can't we have the old school manual rear view dip mirrors? Why does everything need to be electric. Mind was blown when I found out the door handles are electric sensors rather than a classic pull handle! Progress ey?!
I get where you are, I'm convinced I still haven't even worked out how everything should work and also convinced I am missing out on functions that don't know exist.

The other concern is that when all these sensors start failing and you are out of warranty the price of maintenance will go through the roof. Just glad mines a lease car so I don't have that problem but feel for those that may.