Reversing camera not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
tkid

Post by tkid »

Thought this was worth mentioning in case anyone encounters the same thing.

On starting the car and putting it into reverse straight away before you see the dialog asking you whether you want to go online or stay offline, the reversing camera wouldn't switch on/entertainment display was just black instead of showing what was behind me. The sensors were still working so could safely reverse and judge distance, but obviously it was rather disconcerting.

I thought re-starting the car would fix it - so I engaged the parking brake and pressed the start/stop button on the side of the steering to restart, didn't work. Tried going out of the car, locking it and coming back in and no dice either.

Left the car parked overnight and it was fine the next day when reversing. I suspect the car needed to go into a deep sleep mode to reset everything before the camera could work again.

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Sounds about right. We're all driving computers on wheels these days.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
gomogo

Post by gomogo »

I just received my ID.4 a few days ago, and I am loving the transition to an EV. That being said, I had the exact same problem as the OP, with the exact same solution. I was in a rush leaving the house, placed the car in reverse, and all dialogue was present, just no picture from the camera. Tried parking, leaving the vehicle, re-entering, but that did not fix it. Additionally, once I arrived at work and backed into my parking spot, the display was still not showing a picture. Once I left work however, the camera was working as usual. Seems like a small, strange glitch, but a little annoying when considering how small the rear window is for maneuvering without the camera. Anyway, just wanted to let @tkid, and anyone else with this issue know that you are not alone.
Qman

Post by Qman »

Hi Guys, don't know is anyone is still having issues with this. I've had the car for just over a year now, the camera worked on the day I took delivery of the car. Not worked a day since, it just says camera needs cleaning.

I would get it if I at least saw a cloudy image or anything but it won't even get that far. I bought lens cleaning wipes, I've used the cloth that comes with glasses too. No joy. I'm beginning to think it may be a software issue. I have tried the long sleep method, it's slept for a week recently. Any ideas would be appreciated.
ID4 109kW Life Pure 52kWh in Moonstone Grey
Ordered April 2022
Delivered Nov 2022

Sharecode for £50 Octopus Energy credit - https://share.octopus.energy/pear-hare-652
Sbwilson60

Post by Sbwilson60 »

Hi there -my car just over 2 years old - my reversing camera came on very cloudy -nothing to do with needing cleaned -took it to garage -camera on screen started to come on & off -clearly something badly wrong -thankfully the garage were able to see this before it went off completely-they ordered a new camera-since fitted -everything back to normal now 👏👏👏👏
Qman

Post by Qman »

Ok, that's interesting. Definitely worth asking my local VW garage, thanks.
ID4 109kW Life Pure 52kWh in Moonstone Grey
Ordered April 2022
Delivered Nov 2022

Sharecode for £50 Octopus Energy credit - https://share.octopus.energy/pear-hare-652