Time to charge at home

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

I have a wallbox charger at home. Can anyone tell me how long it should take to charge my ID4 Pro Performance from 20 to 80% and if poss 20 to 100%. I thought I'd read 12 hours up to 100% - that seems faster than I'd expect and mine seems to take 3 times that length of time even to 80%

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've regularly charged mine from 20% to 80% and my wall charger app keeps a record for me. On average, the time taken to charge is 6½ hours. I've only charged once at home up to 100%, but it wasn't from 20%, as this was prior to a long trip.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

I am no expert, and our ID4 hasn’t even arrived, but surely the following are key:

Maximum battery capacity within the car
Amount left in the battery at the time of recharge commencement
The maximum capacity of the wall charger (typically 7.7kwh, but you can buy lower and higher).
The target percent of battery capacity desired

Not sure how we can help Kelvin without those?

Once known, it’s basically a maths sum compared to a reality check which will help focus on the suspicious item.

Also, use a three pin plug option, which will take much, much longer, but again by calculating the expected time you can compare against reality and it might eliminate the car side.

I’ll shut up now. Sorry if it’s no help.
😉
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
gflacko

Post by gflacko »

Assuming your charger is rated at 7.4kW (31A/230V) then to charge from completely empty to 100% (77kW) should be around 11 hours (77/7) allowing for losses etc. I have never carried out a charge from empty to full but my charger (Ohme) logs confirm a charge rate of 7kW. From 20% to 80% should be around 6.6 hours and 20% to 100% around 8.8 hours. You should see on your charging screen a rate around 21-24 mph. So if you are getting times 3 times these timings then something is not right. Check you have not got the "Reduce AC charge current" selected. This reduces the current to 8A and as you can see from the pictures I then get 4mph. I use this setting when my solar panels process around 2kW excess and therefore only charge using this "free" electricity. But for normal charging make sure it is off. To check the charger see if you can use a different car. To check the car try another charger. A Tesco pod point is free and rated around 7kW so you could see if that charges around 21mph.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

ID.4 Max 77kWh in Manganese Grey with tow hook.
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

Thank you for this information. I do not think the reduce AC charge current is on but my app has now chosen to not work so I will have to try to sort that out before I check this. I used a rapid charger on a long journey and that charged as quickly as expected so I suspect it is the charger.

I have recently changed from a Peugeot ev after finding the range on that was nowhere near as promised. - I don't know if this change would cause any issues but will check with my supplier when I have checked the app.

It is good to know that it should only take a few hours when I get it sorted out so thanks again
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Hi GFlako,
Really interesting point about reduced AC charge. We also have a camper with portable solar panel. Worth its weight in gold. Where did you get your ID4 solar panel from please?
Edit: assume you charge off home solar panels rather anything mobile, which I appreciate will be very, very slow?
👍
gflacko

Post by gflacko »

My solar panels are on the house so can be used to charge the car when it is sunny. The reduced ac current helps ensure that only the PV panels electricity is used. Yes, the charge rate is slow but on a good day reaches 20-30 mile of range but helps with the short journeys. This will increase as summer approaches.
ID.4 Max 77kWh in Manganese Grey with tow hook.
fridgeman

Post by fridgeman »

Maybe a daft question but have you got the app set to charge at the full 32amps?
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

Not a daft question as I don’t know how to set/check the amps. I have checked the reduced charge current is not on as suggested earlier - is there anything else I can try?
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

gflacko wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:52 pm My solar panels are on the house so can be used to charge the car when it is sunny. The reduced ac current helps ensure that only the PV panels electricity is used. Yes, the charge rate is slow but on a good day reaches 20-30 mile of range but helps with the short journeys. This will increase as summer approaches.
Thanks for that. Really useful. Sunny days on their way. 👍