ID4 will not go online

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Helisupp

Post by Helisupp »

My ID4 has been telling me it is unable to connect to 4G online mode for 4 days now, tried resetting but to no success.

So today I visited my main dealer, who is so busy that it can only book me in for the 4th May to have a look at the vehicle and diagnose the problem, they said it has to go on the diagnostic machine and only the trained tech can look at it. I asked is there any quick thing I can do to sort it out and they said `"not that they know of".

We had a similar fault on our Smart car last year, Mercedes dealer said the same thing about having to go on diagnostic machine.

So, I did the same thing to the ID4 that I did to our Smart 453, I disconnected the ID4 12 volt battery for 10 minutes.............................reconnected the battery and hey presto, it all works again.

CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Probably for a similar reason I needed to reboot my phone this morning when I had no bars. As new EV cars are effectively computers on a chassis, with complex software architectures, they need to build in simpler ways of doing a hard-reboot (power off and on). Maybe there's a market for someone to make a switch fitted to the battery connections?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I had this early on in ownership and emailed the weconnect vw app and they fixed it remotely, has worked perfectly since.
Twiglet21

Post by Twiglet21 »

My ID4 has gone offline several times in the 5 months I've had it. It appears to be at weekends when VW seem to do their IT systems maintenance. It normally comes back online by about midday on a Monday. It is not the car and not the WeConnect ID app, as both connect when the VW central service is available.
Steve

Post by Steve »

By way of coincidence mine went that way again the other day. If you have the car turned off and then remove fuse 19 (lowest 5 amp in the second row from memory) lock the car and wait a few minutes and the put it back and again lock the car and wait a few minutes it’ll come back on.
Rayjmartin

Post by Rayjmartin »

I disconnected the battery to sort out the online/offline mode issue and to reconnect the app which was not possible as we connect could not be used to register the vehicle again. The battery disconnect worked but it did temporarily put on all systems not functioning warning messages. They all disappeared after a few minutes! Thanks for the advice
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

We had this problem in June 22. We had done about 1500 miles since new. Parked in exact same place every night. Didn’t want to affect our warranty so didn’t mess about with fuses or batteries.

Contacted VW customer support in Central Europe using uk 0800 number. They asked for email with three screen shot photos to confirm the messages …then nothing….until 5 days later car all back connected to 4G. My dealer tried to find out what they did, but couldn’t. The fault was closed by VW support with an bland “your problem should now be fixed” email. No glitches since.

Note: even when your car cannot connect to VW central for updates via 4G, you can still drive and charge as normal. Any missed updates queue ready for your reconnection.
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
tkid

Post by tkid »

Had this problem as well recently, where the car would not go online - the SOS light was green, but there were no signal bars next to the globe. Even trying to force the car to go online you would get a message saying that the function is unavailable.

Emailed we-support@volkswagen.de initially, then they escalated to a different department (weconnect-support@volkswagen.de) and I was asked to provide more detail (photos). Didn't receive a response, but the car magically was able to connect again.
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Just contact we-connect email support, and after you eliminating the basics within the car via their instructions, they reset their end. Took 4 days on both occasions we’ve had it.

I’ve never attempted more radical DIY suggestions.
🫣
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

tkid wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 pm Had this problem as well recently, where the car would not go online - the SOS light was green, but there were no signal bars next to the globe. Even trying to force the car to go online you would get a message saying that the function is unavailable.

Emailed we-support@volkswagen.de initially, then they escalated to a different department (weconnect-support@volkswagen.de) and I was asked to provide more detail (photos). Didn't receive a response, but the car magically was able to connect again.
Exact same.
👍