Charging at 30% of max rate

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
Gavc306

Post by Gavc306 »

Hello everyone.

I have been experiencing intermittent issues with charging. This started a month or 2 ago, and has raised it’s head yesterday for the 3rd time now.

I was heading home and needed a quick public charge. I used Gridserve at Hilton Park Services which is 120kw max. I plugged in with 16% SoC and had driven around 120 miles at motorway speed in around 13 degree temperature.
I expected to see a charge rate of 400mph, but it was only giving me 140mph. I got what I needed and drove home. Plugged in overnight and when I checked in the morning it hadn’t added much at all and was still charging at only 2kw (from a 7kw home charger).

Has anyone else had a similar problem with both AC and DC charging being vastly reduced by the car?

Finally to confirm, I check all settings and nothing is on which would throttle the charge rate.

Thanks all

Gav.

Helisupp

Post by Helisupp »

Do what I do every time I have is a glitch with a car, before you call the dealer (who will probably do the same thing)..

Disconnect 12v battery (negative terminal) for 10 minutes................factory resets systems just about every time, but you may have a few systems tell you they are not working afterwards but will work after you lock the car for a while after driving.

Worked on my ID4, Smart Car, Touareg, BMW M3 etc..........before calling the dealer.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Hi Gav
I have a similar problem. have had my car into VW Edinburgh.
I have set the car always to charge no further than 80%.
Example the car when at 70%, was telling me I had a range of 170miles. outside temperature 16
So went home and set the car to charge to 100% now telling me I have a range of 244 miles. outside temperature 17
I don't think that is cold.

As you can see this has fell well short of there technical data.
When I first got the car, it was charging up to 340 miles / 310 all be it it was set to charge to 100%

I reported this problem over a month ago, and they said, that there was a software upgrade due to come out.

The garage had it in today, they agree with what I am highlighting. however they said that the car was showing no faults, but VW was aware that there is a problem
on some UK cars, and that a software update due to come out.

Big worry is cant trust the car for longer journeys.

I am now keeping a record and with dates, times, temperature and pictures to cross reference.

Thanks Jim
Gavc306

Post by Gavc306 »

Thanks for responding guys.

I might try disconnecting the battery - I hadn’t thought of that, so thanks Helisupp.

Silverback, I know what you are talking about and recognise what you are saying. I personally don’t expect to achieve any better range than 280 miles even in summer based on the hilly terrain Where I live and the type of driving I do being more high speed roads rather than city driving. For context, when I had some time in London last August, my range went up to around 350 miles.
But the problem isn’t the guesstimated range the car is giving me, it’s actually the rate of charge which used to be fine even in the depths of winter. There’s definitely something wrong with the car in that sense.

I’ve got a call back from the VW technician on Tuesday, so I will update you once I’ve had that call.

Thanks.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I believe that in the next software update, the battery percentage will be shown in the smaller driver's display as well as finding it via the infotainment screen. At least this way, you will be able see what is left in the battery rather than relying on the guessed mileage.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Spyderman

Post by Spyderman »

I find that mine always charges at significantly lower than advertised on smart chargers. I stopped at an Ionity 300KW charger recently (there they charge an absolute fortune per KWH as it's supposedly fast), but my ID4 only charged at 60KW (despite being the only car at a bank of 6 chargers).
At a Ecotricity 125KW charger I regularly stop at, I only get about 45KW - this is despite being mid journey, so you'd think the battery would be warmed up. At home I seem to get nearly 7KW from my 7KW charger.