Hello to all ID 4 Owners

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jonny-B-Bad

Post by Jonny-B-Bad »

Hello,

I'm Jonny, I've picked up my new ID 4 1st Edition today. I'm a professional electrical engineer and member of the IET also a Project Manager in the EV charging installation industry since 2012. This is my 4th EV, but my first BEV my previous ones being PHEV's, BMW 330E, 2020 Audi A3 Etron, 2021 Audi A3 TFSi 40-E.

So a question for you all with regard to charging. Is Ionity worth the money? What charging network should I choose to get me around England and Wales, I don't cover Scotland? Thanks in advance.

wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

Hi Jonny,

We look for InstaVolt chargers whenever we can. They are not that widely available yet but we have a 100% success rate with them so far. In our limited experience the extra cost, compared to Ecotricity which we have found to be 100% unreliable (either chargers not working or randomly stopping charging) is more than worth it.

Sure someone with far more experience of other networks will be along to offer more insights soon.

Enjoy, it is a great car.

Jeff
ID.4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
MyEnergi Zappi 2
Jonny-B-Bad

Post by Jonny-B-Bad »

Thank you Jeff, the Instavolt network is certainly of interest as there are 2 rapids within a minute from where I live and also another 3 on my route to the M1 southbound. I am loving my ID4, it's perfect for what I need. I might sign up to Ionity through VW for the 44p per kW deal as they are strategically placed around the motorway network and I could get a quick 125kW charge.