Hello from Kent

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

Hi everyone.

I'm due to get my ID.4 1st Edition at the end of Sept via my companies EV salary sacrifice scheme. Trying to get my head around the various charging options etc.

Look forward to interacting with you all.

B

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Welcome. I’m a fellow newbie. Not 100% sure but I think all the 1st editions have the biggest battery and charge capability. I’ve charged a few times using the full CCS on GeniePoint chargers. Not done a full charge yet but the biggest charge I did was 21%-80% which took a little over 1hr @50KWh charge rate. Maxed out at 185 mph at one point. I’ve also got a screwfix granny charger which maxes out at 9mph 💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤 but it’s purely for getting you out of trouble. I’ll be giving an IONITY charger a go in a few weeks while on a trip to Cornwall which promises even faster rates at a price. ID.4’s have their quirks but set aside you petrol or diesel thinking and you’ll be fine. Owning an EV is a mindset not a risk strategy. Range anxiety is something that exists in your head, not reality or so I keep telling myself.
I keep going out in mine for no reason, that’s something I’ve not done since my first car, a hillman avenger estate in 1974.
ID.4 1st edition
Deleted User 251

Thanks Andy. I'm pretty much not worried about range anxiety given my round commute is 120m/day the ID.4 should easily cope with that. It's more the plethora public charging providers and the various options of payment etc that's confusing. I'm sure I won't need to use public charging that often but when/if I do I don't want to be caught out.

Enjoy Cornwall, hope it's not too crowded!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Would recommend a Pod point wall mounted home charger and the InstaVolt network on the road.
Deleted User 251

As part of the SS scheme I get a home charger installed for free but it would seem I don't get a choice so I'm getting an Indra Tethered Type 2. I will look into InstaVolt. Thank you.
Mdh

Post by Mdh »

I’m on a similar scheme so have the same Indra charger. Have just switched to the Octopus EV tariff, which gives a 5p per KW rate between 0030 and 0430. The problem is the Indra charger app only allows you to specify and end of charging time. To make full use of the cheap rate I would have to connect to the Charger at 0030, far from ideal. Have been in contact with Indra who claim they are developing the app further to allow set charging times.
wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

Hi Bruce - I would also recommend InstaVolt when travelling. Have never failed to charge, and tap and go payment just works. They do have a small number of 125KW chargers but majority are 50KW and usually located handily for pit stops. Enjoy the EV experience, for us the move away from ICE has been nothing but positive.
ID.4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
MyEnergi Zappi 2
Deleted User 251

Mdh wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:26 am I’m on a similar scheme so have the same Indra charger. Have just switched to the Octopus EV tariff, which gives a 5p per KW rate between 0030 and 0430. The problem is the Indra charger app only allows you to specify and end of charging time. To make full use of the cheap rate I would have to connect to the Charger at 0030, far from ideal. Have been in contact with Indra who claim they are developing the app further to allow set charging times.
Thanks for the heads up
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Hi Bruce. One of the options to look at is the We Charge card - you can choose from 3 level options in the app once you've linked it to your car.

Main use is on the Ionity chargers, a network growing in size. In Kent there's a setup on the M20 near Folkestone Tunnel terminal and another on Maidstone M20 services - although local ones tend not to be that useful once you have your home charger, but depending on any regular commute/business trips you may find them conveniently located elsewhere for longer journeys - a 20-80% charge in the time it takes to visit the loo and grab a coffee is very convenient!

I've also used it to activate other chargers, including a number of free ones up in Scotland recently on a road-trip holiday. I also have a plethora of other apps/rfid cards for choice - although for the occasional use most new commercial charging locations (Motoway stations etc) are meant to be a supporting a pay-by-card option.