2nd test drive tomorrow - what to look out for

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Had a test drive of the ID.4 on Saturday - very impressed. Decided to have another one tomorrow to double check before making final decision on buying one which would be the LIfe spec with 77kWh battery. What are some of the key points to look for or ask about?
Thanks
ID.4 Life Pro Performance in Honey Yellow since 5th November 2021

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

There's a lot to learn with the modern EV which you can pick up yourself as time goes by, but basically, do you enjoy driving the car and the way it handles and if you don't know already, the difference between D and B. Also, have you checked how you will charge your car, particularly if you want to do It at home. I didn't know a lot about the ID4 until I had my test drives, but I just loved the drive. I'm still learning and I'm sure as this community grows, we'll all learn a lot more. If you want to know anything specific, please feel free to contact me. I will try my best to give you an honest opinion or advice.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Warrior wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:41 pm There's a lot to learn with the modern EV which you can pick up yourself as time goes by, but basically, do you enjoy driving the car and the way it handles and if you don't know already, the difference between D and B. Also, have you checked how you will charge your car, particularly if you want to do It at home. I didn't know a lot about the ID4 until I had my test drives, but I just loved the drive. I'm still learning and I'm sure as this community grows, we'll all learn a lot more. If you want to know anything specific, please feel free to contact me. I will try my best to give you an honest opinion or advice.
Thanks Warrior.
I've done a lot of research and test driven a few cars and the most impressive has been the ID.4. I definitely enjoyed driving the car, very good visibility and comfort, and it was so easy to drive! I will be getting a home charger (possibly pod point) and most of the time this should be sufficient, with long journeys covered by fast charge public charge points.

My main reason for 2nd test drive is to check handling in built up areas and country lanes. Most of my test drive so far in the ID.4 was dual carriageway and other A roads. So any comments on this would be good.

Also, probably a standard question, there is the WLTP quoted figures, but generally what are people really experiencing? I'm thinking it is probably nearer to 80% - 85% of the quoted numbers - even at this level the range seems good.

Many thanks
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I don't do high mileage at all, but on a recent trip to Kent, starting at 100% charge, I did just short of 200 miles before stopping for a break and charge up. At that point the battery was still showing around 80 miles range left. The journey down was on Motorway and main roads. It was also quite wet, so wipers and lights were on a lot. Driving around in the city, I find it perfect for short trips and even with the 20" wheels on some poor roads, I find the ride more than acceptable. As for WLTP, I think that around 270 is the real world, particularly after reading other's experiences on other websites.
With regards to your home charge point, the reason I raised this is not down to the actual charger, but your mains supply. Every installation has to be sanctioned by your DNO (District Network Operator), to make sure that your supply can cope with demand. In my case it's Western Power. My initial problem was that I live in an older house with a looped supply. Without boring everyone, my supply had already received a minor upgrade prior to me even considering an EV, but I still had to wait some considerable time before my installation was authorised. However, I now have an EO Mini Pro 2 home charge point and am very pleased with it.
EO Mini Pro 2
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Very happy with the 2nd test drive and confirmed my initial impressions of the ID.4 - excellent car for what I need.
So.... I decided to go ahead and purchase. The great news is that I pick the car up on Friday. The showroom one in Honey Yellow - so lucky it is the right spec and I don't have to wait 9 months :-)
ADMIT

Post by ADMIT »

Picked up the car on Friday 5th November - weekend away in the Cotswolds and have charged the ID.4 with a public pod point (thanks Tesco) and 3-pin home charger which worked well adding approx 35% overnight. Waiting for news on home charger, but should be able to manage for a little while with the 3 pin plug option and public chargers.

Overall first impressions of the ID.4 - very satisfied with the drive, comfort and size.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

ADMIT wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:36 pm Picked up the car on Friday 5th November - weekend away in the Cotswolds and have charged the ID.4 with a public pod point (thanks Tesco) and 3-pin home charger which worked well adding approx 35% overnight. Waiting for news on home charger, but should be able to manage for a little while with the 3 pin plug option and public chargers.

Overall first impressions of the ID.4 - very satisfied with the drive, comfort and size.
Great to hear that everything is going well for you.
EO Mini Pro 2