Driver assistance

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Living in north Worcestershire there are many narrow roads with overhanging trees and hedgerows that I use. The steering assistance on these roads is a pain in the butt. It’s the digital equivalent of my first driving instructor in 1971 who used to grab the steering wheel all the time. I know you can turn it off each time you get in the car but has anybody got any idea how to make it be off by default rather than the other way round?
BTW: I turned off my driving instructor by sacking him. The driving school did the same when I told them why I’d cancelled my lessons.
ID.4 1st edition

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

When you say "steering assistance", are you talking about Lane Keeping Assistance? If that's the case, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. This has beed discussed no end on another forum and it would appear that it's a safety feature implemented by VW which keeps it on unless you manually turn it off. Someone in the USA has managed to turn it off by default using Ross-Tech VCDS. This is widely used in the VAG community on ICE cars, but I don't know how well it's been implemented on electric vehicles yet. On my previous car, a VW Tiguan, the default setting was "off" and you turned it it on if you wanted that option.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Warrior wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am When you say "steering assistance", are you talking about Lane Keeping Assistance? If that's the case, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. This has beed discussed no end on another forum and it would appear that it's a safety feature implemented by VW which keeps it on unless you manually turn it off. Someone in the USA has managed to turn it off by default using Ross-Tech VCDS. This is widely used in the VAG community on ICE cars, but I don't know how well it's been implemented on electric vehicles yet. On my previous car, a VW Tiguan, the default setting was "off" and you turned it it on if you wanted that option.
Yes, Lane keeping. I really don’t like it. It’s fine on major roads/motorways but lesser roads it’s not so good.
Ah well.
ID.4 1st edition
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I totally agree with you.
EO Mini Pro 2
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I have just purchased OBDeleven and have been able to set the Lane Keeping Assist default to "Off" and it stays off. If I want to use it, say for motorway driving, I will now turn it on when I want to.
EO Mini Pro 2
flashbarts

Post by flashbarts »

Warrior wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:15 pm I have just purchased OBDeleven and have been able to set the Lane Keeping Assist default to "Off" and it stays off. If I want to use it, say for motorway driving, I will now turn it on when I want to.
Can you share how ? This is the one thing that I hate with a passion about mine :)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Just purchase Obdeleven. There’s an app within the main app to change the settings. If you’re not familiar with Obdeleven, here’s a link.

https://obdeleven.com/en/
EO Mini Pro 2
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Kris (Battery Life) on YouTube has a video about this ODB stuff.

Warning - hacking your car may void your Warranty!