EV Charging

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

Having got delivery of my ID4 last Friday I am very pleased so far and doing my best to get my head around what appears to me to be a very different driving experience.

What I am really struggling with is the plethora of different charge point providers! It seems every time I use a 'public' charger it requires a sign up to a different App. Is there a cover all app or at least an idiots guide as to what covers which providers?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

1. Order a homecharger if possible. For most of my use apart from long business trips (>200 miles) this does the job and is the most convenient at the cheapest rate and should pay for itself within a year. I have Economy 7 meter with an Ohme I can reliably set to charge at 8p/kWh.

2. Most services seem to be updating to pay as you use with a suitable debit/credit card

3. Register for the We Charge card through the VW app or website (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... harge.html). You should get a discounted subscription which among other services gives a reduced rate on Ionity.
It also activates a number of other services but apart from Charge Scotland I don't know the list.

4. Analyse your typical use and Zap-Map to see what other networks with decent (>100Kw) rapid chargers and work out on their website if you need an app or RFID to use. I have ecotricity, Shell and BP as backups which I haven't used much in the last 6 months I've had the car.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Any experience of extended parking e.g for 2 weeks in an airport car park? Does the battery loose charge? Any tips?
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

From what I have read on an American forum, it seems that if your car is left with somewhere between 40% and 60% charged, it should be fine, with little degradation on battery charge. However, I cannot confirm this, it's only what I've read.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

It may lose a couple of. Percent sat there, but shouldn't be significant loss.
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

CoxJul wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:31 am 1. Order a homecharger if possible. For most of my use apart from long business trips (>200 miles) this does the job and is the most convenient at the cheapest rate and should pay for itself within a year. I have Economy 7 meter with an Ohme I can reliably set to charge at 8p/kWh.
My home charger is due to be installed on Friday. Unfortunately it was due earlier but the installing Engineer went sick the night before. So I will have been managing without for 4 weeks before installation!

Then I need to look into suitable tariffs. Unfortunately my current supplier has gone but so am waiting transfer to Octopus. Won't find an 8p/kwh deal in the current energy debacle..
@DM

Post by @DM »

Novice wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 pm Any experience of extended parking e.g for 2 weeks in an airport car park? Does the battery loose charge? Any tips?
We left ours at the airport with 67 miles of range reported. it still showed 67 miles when we got back a week later. But this very quickly dropped off and we actually just got 52 miles range out of it - just enough to get home. On that basis I believe that it did lose some range whilst parked but didn't report this immediately.