Winter Driving

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
tkid

Post by tkid »

Had an interesting drive today:
  • Entertainment system shut down in the middle of driving - screen just went black for no reason. Car was connected to Android Auto, with maps navigating and playing music through Spotify. Even pressing the power button on the left didn't do anything. Entertainment system eventually booted up again after about a minute or two, but failed to re-connect to Android Auto. Had to use the VW navigation in the end, plugging in our destination, all this while still driving.
  • At the destination, light/moderate snowfall covered the car (~1cm) before heading back. On hindsight, I should have brushed the snow off the bonnet and the front, as halfway through driving with snow falling, the sensors failed (lane and front assist). They eventually came back online, after the snow had melted
  • Started out with 80% charge, finished with 35%, total distance travelled ~83 miles. ~0-1°C outside temperature, air-con at 18°C, front and rear wipers on (because of snowfall), had to use the rear de-mister twice. Didn't use heating on steering wheel or seats though. Would be interested to hear from someone who has a heat pump to compare.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Have just joined but had my ID4 heater....no heat pump .....is showing as not available.....???
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Having had a couple of really frosty mornings lately, I was just wondering how you are getting on with a heated front screen, if you have one. I'm lucky that it's standard on the First Edition, not sure about other models though. Anyway, I'm really pleased, as the ice was gone in a couple of minutes. As with everything that takes power, the estimated mileage drops, but I think that as EV drivers now, we should expect that and learn how to manage and use our cars during colder months.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
davidf27

Post by davidf27 »

Warrior wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:08 am Having had a couple of really frosty mornings lately, I was just wondering how you are getting on with a heated front screen, if you have one. I'm lucky that it's standard on the First Edition, not sure about other models though. Anyway, I'm really pleased, as the ice was gone in a couple of minutes. As with everything that takes power, the estimated mileage drops, but I think that as EV drivers now, we should expect that and learn how to manage and use our cars during colder months.
I have tried the heated front screen and I must say mine seems quite slow, I usually preheat the car from the app 5 mins before I need to leave in the mornings, but did try the heated windscreen and it seemed slow (quicker to put the heating on it).
Although using the app this morning I selected "automatic window heating" so it does the mirrors too, and I also selected "zones > front right" however when i entered the car, the passenger heated seat was on and the steering wheel heating was on... strange!
Blue Dusk FE ID4, Delivered July 2021.
Steve

Post by Steve »

For what it’s worth here is my limited experience and hope it helps. I drove to the Yorkshire moors this week. The outbound journey had a detour so was 153 miles. The weather cold, around 4 degrees max and I left with a pre conditioned battery at 100%. We used the heating set to20.5 and heated seats as and when. The car had two adults, two dogs and was rammed full. It was intermittently rainy, more rainy than not and we drove at up to 65mph (acc set) and when weI arrived it was showing 85 miles remaining. The average usage showed as 2.8 miles pKH.

On the way back the car had the same stuff inside (chocker) and 100% battery but I had not pre conditioned the battery. The weather was awful. Cold, windy and absolute.y throwing it down almost all of the way. We used the heating and the heated seats the same as before but this time the cruise was set for 70mph. The return journey was 138 miles and we had 69 miles showing. The average energy usage was 2.5 miles pKH. My guess is that the remaining miles was a little optimistic both ways. I’d have thought that going we had a max range of about 220 miles rather than the 238 suggested and about 196 miles rather than the 207 it claimed on the return leg.

I should also mention that mine has the heat pump.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

When you say pre-conditioned the battery, do you mean that you had the car plugged into a charge point and you set the car's interior to warm up?
EO Mini Pro 2
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes . I thought there might be a programme to pre condition the batteries but I understand that’s all that’s done. It would be useful if VW gave some pointers on how long this should be done for and the benefits of doing it though.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I thought that's what was meant by pre-conditioning. Thanks for the confirmation.
EO Mini Pro 2
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

I've also found that a 5min 'pre heat' from the app works wonders. In fact I think it's warmer after that than just normal driving.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for that but wouldn’t it be nice for VW to include something to tell you how to best pre condition the batteries because surely it’ll take longer at zero degrees rather than 10 or 12 degrees