Winter Tyres

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
GJID4

Post by GJID4 »

I am looking for some help.
I have changed my rear tyres to winter tyres as I do about 1000miles a week, but now the cars stability is off, and more times than not coming off a bend or a roundabout the Anti Slip light flashes and the car wont accelerate until the computer deems it safe. Thats all and well if I was slipping, but I am not!!! I can be in a straight line and it still does it.

Any one else having this issue?

Maybe I should have changed over all four tyres to winters, and its a computer issue due to the front two tyres not being the same
I really dont want to have to go to the dealership as the service girls are very defensive as I found out when i tried to get an issue with the brakes coming on hard just as you move away. they are difficult to deal with, so any advice would be great.
thanks
PS My ID4 has now passed 19,000miles and is still a dream to drive (well expect for the tyre issue lol)
Regards,
G

(Proud owner of a ID4 1st Edition in Manganese Grey, on the road 20/06/2021, and passed the 20,000 mile mark on 9/11/2021!!) :D

Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

Curious as to why you thought the need to change to winter tyres? Appreciate your mileage is significant but can.t see need to swap...?
Tbm700

Post by Tbm700 »

Winter tyres are a complete con. Especially in this country.
It's obvious that someone in marketing thought, I know, let's make more money by "inventing" Winter tyres. Did we see them in the 70's, 80', 90's? I don't think so.
tkid

Post by tkid »

Admittedly, this country doesn't get as much snowfall as one would expect to 'need' winter tyres, but when snow does fall, having winter tyres have definitely helped when driving on the motorway and up steep hills.

GJID4, curious as to know what tyres you changed to? From past experience (with previous car) I changed all four tyres.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I’d like to know the cost to swap them. I know the Bridgestone ones on my 20” 1st edition are around £200 per corner. For the amount of snow and ice we get here it seems extravagant.
I’m sure range would take a hit too with winter tyres due to increased drag compared to the recommended tyre.
ID.4 1st edition
GJID4

Post by GJID4 »

Hi folks, thanks for the comments
We also run Renault Trafic minibuses and have swapped to winter tyres every Nov when temp goes below 10C, as they do grip better, and replace them in March. We get two season out of a pair that way.
Winters may seem a con or waste of money for those only driving 10k a year, and I get it, but our vehicles are carrying passengers at all times of the day and covering 50-60K a year, so having them gives me pice of mind
The ID4 has so much torque at low speed, it needs the help of the winter tyres, in low temps and inclement weather conditions (aswell as a lighter foot on the pedal)

As for what winters we went with, Radar at about £110 a corner. Good tyres, but as I write, we are taking them off and refitting the originals to see if they have been the cause of the anti slip light coming on. The anti slip comes on regardless of accelerating off a corner or up a straight, and the tyres ain't slipping

I will post an update later today...
Regards,
G

(Proud owner of a ID4 1st Edition in Manganese Grey, on the road 20/06/2021, and passed the 20,000 mile mark on 9/11/2021!!) :D
GJID4

Post by GJID4 »

Original rear tyres back on, and after a couple of test drives, anti slip issue seems to have gone!!!
Think a call to vw Milton Keynes for advice maybe on order
Regards,
G

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

GJID4 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:08 pm Original rear tyres back on, and after a couple of test drives, anti slip issue seems to have gone!!!
Think a call to vw Milton Keynes for advice maybe on order
Did you recalibrate the tyre settings in the car settings? Rolling circumference matters as that tells the computer everything about tyre pressure and abs.
ID.4 1st edition
GJID4

Post by GJID4 »

Morning
The garage refitted the tyres and the car runs fine again
Even with a few phone calls to those in the know, there has been no mention of any settings needing done in the cars system
If you know of a procedure Andyf, please share :)
Regards,
G

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

GJID4 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:06 am Morning
The garage refitted the tyres and the car runs fine again
Even with a few phone calls to those in the know, there has been no mention of any settings needing done in the cars system
If you know of a procedure Andyf, please share :)
It’s my understanding from my tyre man that the ‘loss of inflation’ detection is part of the abs sensor system. It sees the rotation and works out if there’s been a loss of air due to a difference in tyre diameter. When you change your tyres especially if they’re a different type of tyre you have to tell the car. You need to go into ‘vehicle’ on the main display then find ‘tyres’ and set the system having inflated the tyres to the correct pressure beforehand. Car needs to be on.
I don’t know if this will fix your particular problem but I know this needs to be done when tyres are changed.
ID.4 1st edition