Wheel & Tyre upgrade

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Good Afternoon

Could anyone please advise? I would like upgrade my standard 18’ Falun alloys to some 20’ wheels Are EV’s fitted with any specific type of alloys & tyres? The wheels they come with do look different to other cars.
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps Moonstone

tkid

Post by tkid »

This looks like a repeat of your other post? https://id4forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 1478#p1478

There are plenty of online articles out there stating that tyres for EVs are different, e.g. https://www.tyresafe.org/tyres-for-electric-vehicles/

As for wheel size, some people have done research on how wheel size affects range on Teslas here: https://teslike.com/range
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Thanks For your reply. Yes it’s similar to my previous post. I posted again to see if I could get any advice.
I understand a load rating element of selecting tires, I also run a fully loaded T6 campervan with upgraded wheels, (this will weigh more that my ID4)Correct Load rated tires are required here too. I’m just unsure if the wheels on EV’s are different? I have read something about the aerodynamics of EV wheels ? What I would like to know is if Choose correctly rated wheels and tires that fit the ID for is that sufficient ? Would I loose economy?
I understand how sizing works. My 18 inch alloys currently have a 65 wall. if I upgraded to 20s I would use a 45 wall. So overall the wheel diameter is not greatly affected. comfort will be slightly compromised but I’m OK with that.
VW make the most customer Modified vehicles on the market I’m sure within time this will apply to the ID range.
tkid

Post by tkid »

Do you know what manufacturer and model tyres have been fitted as your 18' tyres? As mentioned in the articles above, manufacturers are making EV specific tyres, to make sure that there is less rolling resistance, less noise and stronger sidewall strength.

If you're interested in upgrading to 20' tyres, I'm sure the guys here that have the 1st Edition can help with providing the markings on their tyres, and then it would be up to your preference of tyre manufacturer when you are out to buy your set. The only thing I've seen with our ID.4s is that the tyres are 'Air-Stop' - they are able to cope with punctures up to 5mm or something to that effect, as we don't carry a spare tyre by default (it's an optional extra).

As per the Tesla range research article, the larger alloy size the larger the impact on the range, which I would infer a similar impact on our ID.4s. So if you are concerned with an impact to the range, it appears that having the 18' would give you more mileage than the 20'.
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

tkid wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:58 pm Do you know what manufacturer and model tyres have been fitted as your 18' tyres? As mentioned in the articles above, manufacturers are making EV specific tyres, to make sure that there is less rolling resistance, less noise and stronger sidewall strength.

If you're interested in upgrading to 20' tyres, I'm sure the guys here that have the 1st Edition can help with providing the markings on their tyres, and then it would be up to your preference of tyre manufacturer when you are out to buy your set. The only thing I've seen with our ID.4s is that the tyres are 'Air-Stop' - they are able to cope with punctures up to 5mm or something to that effect, as we don't carry a spare tyre by default (it's an optional extra).

As per the Tesla range research article, the larger alloy size the larger the impact on the range, which I would infer a similar impact on our ID.4s. So if you are concerned with an impact to the range, it appears that having the 18' would give you more mileage than the 20'.
I’m currently running the tyres & wheels that came with the car. When running 20” a lower profile tyre is used so the circumference doesn’t alter too much however the right quality does. (See below)I’ll be sure to look further into they type of tyres recommended for Our EV’s I’ll look into “Air-stop” I noticed no spare, just a can of “Get- me- home 😂 Thanks for you help 🙏🏻👍🏻

C9A0812D-A8F8-41B2-8E44-21E7CFB6A16E.jpeg

Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Marcharry wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:07 pm
tkid wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:58 pm Do you know what manufacturer and model tyres have been fitted as your 18' tyres? As mentioned in the articles above, manufacturers are making EV specific tyres, to make sure that there is less rolling resistance, less noise and stronger sidewall strength.

I’m currently running the tyres & wheels that came with the car. When running 20” a lower profile tyre is used so the circumference doesn’t alter too much however the right quality does. (See below)I’ll be sure to look further into they type of tyres recommended for Our EV’s I’ll look into “Air-stop” I noticed no spare, just a can of “Get- me- home 😂 Thanks for you help 🙏🏻👍🏻

5C4FC098-DD7B-49AF-8BF9-994B82EF2518.jpeg