52kwh range

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

I’ve had my car for a week now and covered 350 miles.
I am very happy with the look and feel of the car, drives great and does everything I need it to do. It’s working out quite cost-effective too. However, The range on the 52 kWh battery is very disappointing. Nothing like the predicted range given by VW! Given the recent cold weather I’ve been using the heater it’s draining the battery like crazy! It doesn’t feel right having to be overcautious and restricting yourself from using basic car functions like heated windscreen air-conditioning heater ETC.
I feel Volkswagen should give range from an 80% battery seen as though they advise that how much to charge it!
I love the car in so many ways
, I need to decide whether to send the car back or just get used to it ! not sure what to do.
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps Moonstone

Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

What journeys are you doing, time, outside temp, distance and journey type I.e. motorway, A roads etc?

In our ID3 during winter for short journeys (less than 10 miles) it was averaging 2.5 miles per Kw. Which is pants but its due to the battery heater rather than the cabin heater etc.
ID4 Life 52kWh ordered Aug 16th 2021
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

My daily commute is 45mile around trip. Then a bit of driving evenings. I do around 50-60 miles per day. Mostly town driving with a few dual carriageways. Rarely will I use motorways. The temperature has been quite low the last couple of days and I’ve noticed a massive difference when using the heaters windows & heated seats. I dread to think what it would be like in the height of winter When I’m driving an hour each morning in slow traffic with all the heaters on
Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

What is the average mile per kw that you're getting?

https://ev-database.uk/car/1489/Volkswagen-ID4-Pure
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Mile/kWh below

image.jpg

Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

That's not a bad average given the weather this week being colder, when I had a Q4 77kw in the depths of winter I was getting around that.

Just as an FYI your heater and heated seats use relatively little energy, you can play around with that when your car is stationary but on. Go into the "since start" data screen the energy usage will change from X m/KW (distance to energy usage) to X KW/h (energy usage per hour)

Toggle things on and off to see the difference, in fact the heated seats and steering wheel is more economical than having the cabin heater on. This mornings journey to the nursery saw me using 5kw/h when stationary at lights and that was the battery heater, as when I turned off the heater and seats it only turned it down to about 4.3kw/h if I remember rightly. When you don't have the cold weather the efficiency jumps up, I was getting 4+ m/kw last week rather than between 2.5 and 3.3 in winter in the ID3.

But with an average of 3.2 you'll see 166 miles which according to EV database is about right for cold combined urban/A road journeys which you're doing.
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Hi,

We’ve had our entry level 52kw for seventeen days. We’ve done 250 miles. Mostly across and around town in “B” mode. No heated seats. Cabin temperature 18 degrees. No aircon. Charging up to 80%. Driving style: typical older driver sedate approach.

Our display shows we are getting 3.9miles per kw as an average.

We share in case it helps others still considering.
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Thanks for your reply. It’s a big concern when you see the predicted mileage on the display drop so much when you turn on your heating. I believe in the new 3.0 update that’s due out next month, it will also display the battery percentage
Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

Are you sure it's the cabin heater and not the battery heater that's causing it to drop? As I said the cabin heater uses relatively little.

The battery heater kicks in at or below 8 degrees.
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Where is the setting for battery heater? Is this set by default?