Android Auto - Upcoming updates

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
tkid

Post by tkid »

Google has shared some upcoming updates to Android Auto arriving this summer at their 2022 I/O developer conference.

Key takeaway is the refreshed UI involving a split-screen mode that scalable across different display types, essentially allowing Google Maps, media controls and other necessary features on the same screen so you don't have to tap around to switch apps whilst driving.

dims.gif

Additional details can be seen in their video (2:42 - 4:10):

CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Let's hope this works with my phone/id4 combination.
tkid

Post by tkid »

Finally saw the new 'Coolwalk' interface kick in this morning, and it looks good so far.
For anyone waiting, you'll need to update to Android Auto 8.8 as well as have Google enable the interface for you in their back end servers. They've been doing a phased roll out so if you don't see it yet, you'll just need to sit tight and wait a bit more.
Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

tkid wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:42 am Finally saw the new 'Coolwalk' interface kick in this morning, and it looks good so far.
For anyone waiting, you'll need to update to Android Auto 8.8 as well as have Google enable the interface for you in their back end servers. They've been doing a phased roll out so if you don't see it yet, you'll just need to sit tight and wait a bit more.
Would be good to get some photos of this running on the ID.4
Android Auto 8.8 isn't required by the way, but it does need to be enabled back end. Although I thought everybody had it switched on now to be honest?
kingkladze

Post by kingkladze »

PXL_20230209_152216116.jpg

Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

kingkladze wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:24 pm PXL_20230209_152216116.jpg
Thanks!
I really like the fact it's "widescreen" mode on the ID.4 - on my A.4 it's the other way and it definitely doesn't look as nice, although easier to use with the rotary dial.
kingkladze

Post by kingkladze »

To be honest I didn't realise it had updated until I read this thread. Looks and feels so much better to use. I may just use it as an auto feature everytime I get in the car now. Hopefully it will solve the problem of the cars voice activation springing into life every time my daughter speaks!
ejnar

Post by ejnar »

Generationgav wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:10 am
tkid wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:42 am Finally saw the new 'Coolwalk' interface kick in this morning, and it looks good so far.
Would be good to get some photos of this running on the ID.4
Android Auto 8.8 isn't required by the way, but it does need to be enabled back end. Although I thought everybody had it switched on now to be honest?
Right - I had the new interface with the update of Android Auto to 8.7.
ID.4 Pro Performance, Family edition received October 2021. Finally on SW version 3.2 since 1-Dec-2023.
Denmark
Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

kingkladze wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:45 pm To be honest I didn't realise it had updated until I read this thread. Looks and feels so much better to use. I may just use it as an auto feature everytime I get in the car now. Hopefully it will solve the problem of the cars voice activation springing into life every time my daughter speaks!
Just turn that off in the car settings because a new AA won't stop the VW voice commands.
ID4 Life 52kWh ordered Aug 16th 2021
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
kingkladze

Post by kingkladze »

Larry_Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:49 am
kingkladze wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:45 pm To be honest I didn't realise it had updated until I read this thread. Looks and feels so much better to use. I may just use it as an auto feature everytime I get in the car now. Hopefully it will solve the problem of the cars voice activation springing into life every time my daughter speaks!
Just turn that off in the car settings because a new AA won't stop the VW voice commands.
Aha didn't realise you could turn it off in the car :D