Rear light on boot lid

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi, new to this and my ID4, has anyone else had a problem with the strip light coming away in warm weather? Mines been back to the dealer whi replaced it with an "improved light" but its happened again.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've seen on an American based forum that a lot of owners have encountered this problem. Some have had replacements and some just new retaining clips. I have not seen a definitive answer though.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Helisupp

Post by Helisupp »

TSB 94-21-01. Rear strip light "bowing in the sun or hot temps.

Having seen others who have had the retaining clips and complete light replaced, it did not improve things.

Mine was bowing badly in the sun (100 miles since new) so spent a couple of minutes removing the light and used "Sikaflex" to stick it to the car in the centre of the light.

Been perfect ever since in all hot conditions, the light expands about 2mm (1mm each end) when the light gets hot so is expanding sideways now and not bowing out anymore, easy to remove light if needed using dental floss.

Apply adhesive "I used Sikaflex polyurethane, (do NOT use any silicone sealants)" and apply it where I have marked the light in white.

1. Remove plastic covers x2 in tailgate
2. Disconnect small electrical plug
2. Remove the 2 nuts each side holding the light on
4. Remove light by gently pulling off from studs
5. Apply adhesive
6. Refit light with 4 nuts and using masking tape to keep centre part tight to car
7. Connect electrical plug
8. Refits plastic covers

10 minutes maximum to complete.

E79DC3C1-12D0-4946-AB3D-9CAE63B431B5_1_201_a.jpeg

6C81FAE6-A9EB-47A8-B2D0-6A0C6D39A4DA.jpeg