How much range??

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Jellios

Post by Jellios »

Hi all. I’ve taken delivery of an id4 pro performance 77kwh. The declared full charge mileage is 320 miles. I charge it to 100% and it shows 260 miles. Does the declared 320 miles assume you drive really carefully and without too many electrical appliances switched on and downhill and in hot weather. So In essence it will never show the declared 320 miles when you fully charge????? I’m finding that if you drive over 50 miles an hour you can kiss goodbye to any any real mileage claims.

I feel it’s scandalous that they publish the fact that if you fully charge your 77kwn battery you get 320 miles.

MikeS

Post by MikeS »

my understanding on the (displayed) remaining range is it is estimated based on your most recent driving/usage , so if you're hammering down the motorway, or just setting off on a cold frosty morning, it will be less. And generally in winter months with cooler temperatures it will be less than in summer.

PS Also unless you need the full 100% charge range for a long trip, its advised to only charge to 80% (ideally keeping it somewhere between 20-80%) in order to maximize the battery life.
Last edited by MikeS on Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ID.4 Life 52kwh, Moonstone Grey. ordered 21/10/21, confirmed build wk 33, delivered 13/10/22.

Get £50 credit and switch to Octopus with me https://share.octopus.energy/wind-quoll-8400
Jellios

Post by Jellios »

Thanks Mike. This my biggest concern with EV’s that you have no idea a to how long the power will last!!! Let’s hope they improve the accuracy with technological advancements.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Jellios wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:35 pm Thanks Mike. This my biggest concern with EV’s that you have no idea a to how long the power will last!!! Let’s hope they improve the accuracy with technological advancements.
PPS there's a video review on carwow's youtube channel where they drive an ID.3 until the battery runs out just to see how far they get...

ID.4 Life 52kwh, Moonstone Grey. ordered 21/10/21, confirmed build wk 33, delivered 13/10/22.

Get £50 credit and switch to Octopus with me https://share.octopus.energy/wind-quoll-8400
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Jellios wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:35 pm Thanks Mike. This my biggest concern with EV’s that you have no idea a to how long the power will last!!! Let’s hope they improve the accuracy with technological advancements.
HI jellies, not sure if it helps, but we look at the range issue similar to that when we owned a three litre twin carb saloon back in the day. If you drive everywhere down hill at 38 mph on clear roads you could get close to the advertised best case. If you drove through town, with traffic jams and air con of full we got about half of advertised.

The issue of range has always been a mixture of journey route, weather conditions, comfort choices and driving style as minimum. Nowadays there are others such as driving modes and equipment options.I suggest we will all learn in the next twelve months.

I echo others comments regarding 80% regular target charge.
👍
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

I agree with you that dealers and manufacturers should be much more transparent re range. I bought a Peugeot 2008 which was 230 top and 170 on the road range but found it did much less and the range shown was very unpredictable. It meant that on a long journey and motorway driving I didn't dare do any more than 90-100miles before charging. I sold it after 3 months and bought my ID4 Pro performance. Obviously my expectations were lower but I have been very pleased with it found it much better in range even at top speed. I recently charged to 90% for first time to try it out and I think I got about 270 range. However I had just done a long fast journey so found that for the first few days of slower local driving the range hardly reduced at first as the range adjusted to the new speed. As someone said you have to get used to what it will do. Once thing about having the Peugeot was that I had to charge it outside home pretty regularly so got used to doing that and did not find it a problem except for spending the fuel cost saving on expensive motorway coffee and snacks!
Larry_Lamb

Post by Larry_Lamb »

I don't understand why this is suddenly an issue.

Did you in your ICE car become frustrated that the claimed MPG was never achievable?

As with ICE cars just do your homework to see what is actually achievable from others experiences.

Ev Database is a good starting point.
ID4 Life 52kWh ordered Aug 16th 2021
Delivered Oct 24th 2022!
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

I think most people would read car reviews and compare models and range but I found that the reviews did not make clear the extent of the reduced range at high (but normal for long journeys ) speeds. Having just done a journey of 188 miles nearly all at 70 mph and still having 50 miles left from full charge I am happy. More importantly after a steeper reduction in range for the first few miles while the car adjusted to the higher speeds I found the range settled down to more or less a mile range reduction for mile travelled so I feel I can trust the range displayed unlike my previous car.
Marcharry

Post by Marcharry »

Kelvin1066 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:26 pm I think most people would read car reviews and compare models and range but I found that the reviews did not make clear the extent of the reduced range at high (but normal for long journeys ) speeds. Having just done a journey of 188 miles nearly all at 70 mph and still having 50 miles left from full charge I am happy. More importantly after a steeper reduction in range for the first few miles while the car adjusted to the higher speeds I found the range settled down to more or less a mile range reduction for mile travelled so I feel I can trust the range displayed unlike my previous car.
Is this with 52kwh?
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps Moonstone
Kelvin1066

Post by Kelvin1066 »

Sorry - thought I'd replied. Mine is a 77kwh. I suppose 188 miles doesn't sound great out of range of over 300 but could have stretched it to 220 or so. Anyway after 200 miles I'd be ready for a break so not too much trouble to stop for half an hour to top up.