We Charge

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Has anyone got any experience with We charge free or go with any supplier other than IONITY? They’re a bit sparse around here but several genie point chargers are available.
ID.4 1st edition

tkid

Post by tkid »

I've used the IONITY chargers on a We Charge Go account (ID.3 and ID.4 users get a discounted subscription (£0/month for 12 months and a rate of 45p/kWh) several times now and have never had a problem with them. The RFID card takes about 5 days to be delivered to you.
I've also used GeniePoint several times, and generally been positive. You can charge from the app (no need for an RFID card), but I've had two occasions where charging didn't go so well, both using the 50kWh CCS plug. The first time was when it would only charge at 3kWh, and the second time the app couldn't talk to the charging point. Had to call the helpline for them to manually activate the charging point and use my credit card.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Typically, my card arrived after I got back from charging the car 🙄.
So we get the discount on GeniePoint then? IONITY is a bit thin on the ground round here but will likely use one travelling to Cornwall soon.
ID.4 1st edition
tkid

Post by tkid »

I don't know if you can use the IONITY card on a GeniePoint charger - just sign up with GeniePoint directly with their app.

Having been to Cornwall twice, the IONITY charger at Collumpton services is what I used prior to then using GeniePoint chargers across Cornwall itself.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

👍🏻
ID.4 1st edition
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

Just spent a week in Scotland, travelling up from SE England. Reliably used We charge card to charge on Ionity on way up and back (Skelton Lakes on M1 near Leeds and new site in Alnwick off A1.

Was slightly anxious about chargers in Scotland - no need! Used Charge Scotland chargers in three locations that were decent fast chargers and were free, sessions initiated using the We Charge RFID card.

The less said about the Grid serve/Ecotricity chargers at Southwaite services, that wouldn't accept any payment cards so we're useless, the better.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Seems like engenie Osprey are part of the scheme. A couple of pubs about 10 miles from here have them and the we charge Id app shows them as ‘we charge’.

2FAA7484-D6B3-4451-8AA3-67D225D0A7CE.jpeg

ID.4 1st edition
CoxJul

Post by CoxJul »

See my separate post about the new We Charge app for the car infotainment system in recent/upcoming update
tkid

Post by tkid »

Now that I'm running up to the end of my free We Charge Go plan, I'm switching to We Charge Free which will now be charging:

AC: £0.45 / kWh
DC: £0.60 / kWh
AC IONITY: £0.69 / kWh
DC IONITY: £0.69 / kWh

Blocking fees (which I think sounds like a surcharge if you leave your car charging when it's done and not giving up your space to others)

AC (after 180min, from 9:00 to 21:00): £0.05 / min
DC (after 90 min, all day): £0.14 / min
AC IONITY (after 180min, from 9:00 to 21:00): £0.05 / min
DC IONITY (after 90min, all day): £0.14 / min
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

As my nearest IONITY charger is 2 hours away, I won’t be renewing. The only time I’ve used them is at Collumpton on our way to Cornwall but Gridserve are rolling out more and more and cheaper.
ID.4 1st edition