Unable to load connection status

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
conductorgainztrain

Post by conductorgainztrain »

Hi all,

I have an ID3 and am experiencing the same issue. Here's a timeline of what has happened so far:

May 2021 - Received delivery of ID3.

June to September 2021 – Intermittent vehicle error “Unable to load connection status”. The issue would persist for a week or two then clear by itself. When the error was present, I’m unable to control the vehicles climate, charging or see charge level via the app. When I get in to the car it will take circa 3 minutes before I can use any of the infotainment system inclusive of navigation and climate control. The sat nav will occasionally drop out and reset.

October 13th 2021 – Taken to VW Sutton Coldfield due to on-going vehicle error “Unable to load connection status”. VW Sutton Coldfield advised the car required an OTA software update but as it wasn’t able to connect online, they had to force the update manually at the garage. Car returned the same day.

October 14th 2021 – Error back again and booked in to VW Tamworth for December 3rd.

December 3rd 2021 – VW Tamworth rebooted vehicle and did the software update as Sutton Coldfield hadn’t updated the car. This was as per instructions sourced from VW Germany. My vehicle worked for roughly 1 week until the error returned.

January 13th 2022 – VW Tamworth recalled the car and advised a replacement comms module was required and was on special order. Error still present.

February 13th 2022 – Unable to drive the car as the electronic parking brake had malfunctioned and was permanently engaged. The fault cleared over-night.

February 14th 2022 – VW Tamworth installed replacement part and they had also reset the parking brake. The car was error free for 24hrs.

February 16th 2022 – “Unable to load connection status” error has returned. VW tell me it may be an issue with the satellites but will get back in touch.

DPJD1973

Post by DPJD1973 »

Hi, I’ve had the same error from about the same time and is still not connecting. Has your connection error been fixed?
youngy1781

Post by youngy1781 »

I Have had the same issue over the last 48 hours in my ID4 Life Pro. I wouldn't bother with dealers they are clueless. ring the VW customer care number in the we connect ID app. They have been very good and are looking into it straight away. VW's weakness if definitely the dealers they are terrible with electric vehicles, I would avoid them and go straight to VW.
youngy1781

Post by youngy1781 »

The dreaded fault as reoccurred. This time it has not corrected itself in over five days. i am in touch with weconnect support but doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast. I think VW have some serious software issue with these cars that they just don't want to admit to hence why 3.0 hasn't been rolled out.
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

We had our first ‘unable to connect’ after three months ownership, and with just 800 miles.

Signal dropped on Saturday. Nothing by Thursday so emailed VW customer services in Central Europe. They gave reference and committed to pass on. They suggested booking in at local dealer asap as well.

Following Saturday, it suddenly connected with no intervention our end. Emailed customer services on Sunday to ask if any action taken? They replied Monday with “your car should now be connected to VW”. No answer re any action taken? so we are none the wiser. Encouraging that they could at least see/confirm that the car was connected. Suggests some involvement.

We have not yet cancelled our dealership slot in case of a recurrence.
Info: car parked in exact same spot everyday since March. No fuse tampering attempted. Phone app reconnected automatically.
Life continues. Petrol prices rising😱
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red
RLSPW5453

Post by RLSPW5453 »

I contacted VW we-connect through the app and got the following reply (June 2022) after having this same problem. This process below did rectify the problem & I then found that the latest version of the software had been installed.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering some difficulties with the We Connect ID. app, however, we will gladly assist you with this.

To enable us to isolate the cause of the error and provide a solution, may we kindly ask for you to carry out the troubleshooting steps listed below. After which, we will provide the essential information necessary for further investigation, should the given steps not resolve the issue.

* Before proceeding, please ensure that the following settings are in place within your Volkswagen ID.4:
* The LED bulb for the SOS button is lit green when ignition switch is on (located near the rear view mirror).
* The vehicle is not parked in a dead zone such as an underground car park.
* The ‘Online Mode’ is selected (menu → settings/set up → Offline mode → toggle to the left).

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then please proceed with the steps below:

* With the ignition on, reboot the infotainment system. To do this simply press continuously on its Power On/Off button until the Volkswagen logo appears on the welcome screen.

At this point the error orange triangle with ! through it appeared on the drivers screen along with an orange image of a car and ! through it. (Added by me)

* Take a short drive (recommended 15 minutes).
* Exit and lock your ID. 4, leaving it stationary for 5 minutes.
* Open your We Connect ID. app and log in.

Unlock the car & power on by either pressing the brake pedal or the steering column side button. The 2 orange symbols on the drivers display have now gone (Again added by me).

* Ensure that the information has been updated.

In the situation that the above steps do not resolve the issue, please reply to this email with the following information so we may further escalate the case.

* Screenshots of error message(S) with timestamp of from the Infotainment system when you toggle the offline switch.
* The Color of the Globe symbol from the Infotainment system
* The Color of the LED next to the SOS button.
* A Screenshot of the System Information of the Infotainment System ie Software Version (“Settings” → “System Information”).

We thank you for your time and cooperation.
We are available 24/7, should you have any further queries. You can contact us by email or by calling 0800 – 279 750 8, and quoting your reference 0001341090.

We wish you safe and pleasant journeys with your Volkswagen ID.4.

Your Volkswagen team
2021 Id4 Life Pro Performance 77Kwh manganese. Worcestershire UK.
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

RLSPW5453 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:21 pm I contacted VW we-connect through the app and got the following reply (June 2022) after having this same problem. This process below did rectify the problem & I then found that the latest version of the software had been installed.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering some difficulties with the We Connect ID. app, however, we will gladly assist you with this.

To enable us to isolate the cause of the error and provide a solution, may we kindly ask for you to carry out the troubleshooting steps listed below. After which, we will provide the essential information necessary for further investigation, should the given steps not resolve the issue.

* Before proceeding, please ensure that the following settings are in place within your Volkswagen ID.4:
* The LED bulb for the SOS button is lit green when ignition switch is on (located near the rear view mirror).
* The vehicle is not parked in a dead zone such as an underground car park.
* The ‘Online Mode’ is selected (menu → settings/set up → Offline mode → toggle to the left).

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then please proceed with the steps below:

* With the ignition on, reboot the infotainment system. To do this simply press continuously on its Power On/Off button until the Volkswagen logo appears on the welcome screen.

At this point the error orange triangle with ! through it appeared on the drivers screen along with an orange image of a car and ! through it. (Added by me)

* Take a short drive (recommended 15 minutes).
* Exit and lock your ID. 4, leaving it stationary for 5 minutes.
* Open your We Connect ID. app and log in.

Unlock the car & power on by either pressing the brake pedal or the steering column side button. The 2 orange symbols on the drivers display have now gone (Again added by me).

* Ensure that the information has been updated.

In the situation that the above steps do not resolve the issue, please reply to this email with the following information so we may further escalate the case.

* Screenshots of error message(S) with timestamp of from the Infotainment system when you toggle the offline switch.
* The Color of the Globe symbol from the Infotainment system
* The Color of the LED next to the SOS button.
* A Screenshot of the System Information of the Infotainment System ie Software Version (“Settings” → “System Information”).

We thank you for your time and cooperation.
We are available 24/7, should you have any further queries. You can contact us by email or by calling 0800 – 279 750 8, and quoting your reference 0001341090.

We wish you safe and pleasant journeys with your Volkswagen ID.4.

Your Volkswagen team
Can I please just check, was your symptom the car could not connect to VW, or your phone App could not connect to the car, or both?

Not everyone uses the phone app so to be clear my post was car to VW connection.
RLSPW5453

Post by RLSPW5453 »

It was both.
2021 Id4 Life Pro Performance 77Kwh manganese. Worcestershire UK.
Sbwilson60

Post by Sbwilson60 »

I have had same problem -VW customer service has confirmed that the server is ok but car not showing a connection-I have followed instructions from them -same instructions as RLSPW5453 followed BUT with no good result
VW are asking for screenshots & software info so that they can take the problem ‘up line’ !!!! -but I’m not very hopeful of outcome
(I could not connect to the car & the car was ‘unable to load connection’)
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

Sbwilson60 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:44 am I have had same problem -VW customer service has confirmed that the server is ok but car not showing a connection-I have followed instructions from them -same instructions as RLSPW5453 followed BUT with no good result
VW are asking for screenshots & software info so that they can take the problem ‘up line’ !!!! -but I’m not very hopeful of outcome
(I could not connect to the car & the car was ‘unable to load connection’)
This is exactly what they said to me, and requested same photos. Whilst they never explained why or how, five days later it returned to normal.
Local dealer cannot see what Central Europe support have done apparently.
Wonder if this is how Ford model T owners had to endure?