How do I use a CCS tethered charger?

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
MrsR84

Post by MrsR84 »

Hello,

I usually do all my charging via my home charger unit with a tethered type 2 cable but I find myself away from home with a need to travel tomorrow and not enough charge to complete the journey…is the CCS tethered cables compatible with 2022 iD 4 pure? The picture of the pin configuration has 2 additional bits underneath and my car doesn’t have that (unless it’s hidden maybe?!). The CCS charger (instavolt) is the only one I can get to with the charge I have left on my route home! Any advice would be great!

Vander

Post by Vander »

Take another look at your car's charge port. This pic is from a VW e-up but yours will be the same. Removing the little cap covering the lower 2 pins will allow you to use CCS.

"The CCS charger (instavolt) is the only one I can get to with the charge I have left on my route home"

More or less wherever your journey goes you will have lots of choice of charging stations. If you don't already have it, download the ZapMap app and you'll see what chargers are available along your route.
At least for your first few journeys, play it safe and don't let the charge get too low before looking to top up.

Bon voyage!

charge port.jpg

ID4 Max Kings Red
Ordered Nov 21
Mar 23 order status: 10
Apr 23 Cancelled, tired of waiting.

ID5 Tech Pro in the meantime. V3.0 from the factory.
MrsR84

Post by MrsR84 »

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been to look and sure enough there’s a bit to pull out to expose the additional 2 holes! Never needed it so didn’t know it was there! I have had my car since Oct 2022 and manage my journeys around longer charging times as it works fine for me at home or work etc but didn’t want to have to stop for several hours at a type 2 charger to get enough charge to get home and wanted to use the rapid which is why this particular charger is the goal…can’t believe how stupid I’ve been not to notice the pull out bit! Can’t thank you enough for your response…you have saved me hours on my journey tomorrow!
Vander

Post by Vander »

How was your trip?
ID4 Max Kings Red
Ordered Nov 21
Mar 23 order status: 10
Apr 23 Cancelled, tired of waiting.

ID5 Tech Pro in the meantime. V3.0 from the factory.