Charging on Intelligent Octopus Go Tarrif

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
yemi007

Post by yemi007 »

Hello,

I’m new onto this forum or any forum in fact. I have never posted a question online, but this challenge baffles me.

I just bought an ID.4 (my first EV) and switched my octopus tarrif to the intelligent octopus go tarrif, so I expect the charging to be controlled by the energy supplier. What I have noticed is when the charge is meant to start, it never picks up. I plug the charging cable and walk away and return the following morning to an uncharged vehicle.

Who knows how to properly set this up, so I don’t have to keep waking up in the middle of the night to unplug and re plug the charging cable?

Oakley16

Post by Oakley16 »

Good morning, have you spoken to octopus as we are on the same tariff and also run the ID4 and a Kia eniro. The eniro is the chosen vehicle for octopus to charge but have been told that the intelligent is not working at the moment and use smart charging using the car set up schedule. Just remember not set up any times within the car. You just need to plug in and it should charge for a short while and then it will schedule a charge time and stop charging until the schedule time on octopus.
I would say it’s been about 6 mouths since I was told it would not schedule charge the Kia eniro.
TomoFife

Post by TomoFife »

yemi007 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am Hello,

I’m new onto this forum or any forum in fact. I have never posted a question online, but this challenge baffles me.

I just bought an ID.4 (my first EV) and switched my octopus tarrif to the intelligent octopus go tarrif, so I expect the charging to be controlled by the energy supplier. What I have noticed is when the charge is meant to start, it never picks up. I plug the charging cable and walk away and return the following morning to an uncharged vehicle.

Who knows how to properly set this up, so I don’t have to keep waking up in the middle of the night to unplug and re plug the charging cable?
What charger are you using?

I am using PodPoint as was fitted for free, but PP isnt 'compatible' with Octopus IG. So, I have set up the devices as below

Octopus App - Devices - set to 80% and logged into the car via my VW account details
PodPoint is set to manual charging - so it should just work as a dumb charger.
ID4 - set to 80% charge and home set as a charging location.

When I plug in, it seems to offer a small amount of charging and then stops and OIG sets up a schedule for between 11:30 and 05:30. Sometimes it doesnt seem to start bang on 11;30, or the other timeslots it allocates but does start after 9 or 10 minutes. Only time it failed to charge was after id plugged in but then was in and out the car through the evening fitting a dashcam so think I confused it somehow.

My only advice is to make sure charger and car dont have any schedules saved nor are you trying to charger over any limits set in the car.
icowden

Post by icowden »

You definitely need to check two things:-

1) That your charger is compatible with Intelligent Octopus
2) That it's been set up properly.
3) That your smart meters are working properly in smart mode.

I had a similar problem initially (I have a Zappi) but Octopus were able to do something their end that made it all work.