3 weeks in with ID.4

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
NUK_Traveler

Post by NUK_Traveler »

I like the car, but there are a couple of major concerns (first 2 points) and some niggles, which VW need to address.
I've fed most of this back to VW directly and sharing here:

1. Vehicle range is stated as WLTP 310 miles. My son has a Tesla model 75D with 75 kWh battery. His 3 year driving average mileage is 240 miles. I expected similar from ID.4. So far, I am getting nowhere near this. My first long journey returned an estimate of around 178 miles for 77 kWh charge. This was way down on my expectations and meant the car seemed unsuitable for our use. My VW dealership tried to help, though even their (loaned) ID.4 demonstrator shows a return of 216 miles for a full charge.  I am still investigating issue, but it seems you cannot put climate control on the car, without serious repercussions on range. Realistically, I now think 240 miles might be an achievable average, but cold weather seems a major drain.
2. We Connect app has been a nightmare. After 3 weeks of trying many different things, by myself and dealer, the app only worked when country set to Germany. Now it's working, the support team wanted me to delete and restart everything (yet again). They have only just acknowledged my complaint to them and I'm losing patience with them.
3. I didn't know the vehicle was RWD and winter performance now looms as a concern for me. Past experience with BMW's fuel my concern. It was my mistake, but I'd assumed it was AWD and was too far into purchase, when I learned. Disadvantages of no brochure!
4. There is button space for a powered boot, but no powered boot. This is very annoying, as it is needed.
5. I was hoping for a panoramic roof, but this was not an option on 1st. Disappointing it was not standard fit - as I believe it is on other countries 1st models.
6. No mobile phone charge pad. It seems backward to revert back to a charging lead. Why?
7. Hugely disappointed there is no front boot. It would seem that through better design there should be. This could have (at least) stored charging cables, to avoid emptying boot, for underfloor access.
8. The printed owner manual with car is small and not very helpful. Many of the Infotainment screens are not described, or explained. Couldn't VW at least provide a quick start document to help get key basics explained?
9. Lots of other little niggles, like felt in front side bins, but not rear. Why no rear boot flat-loading option. The front/rear drivers side control has an annoying switch to toggle front/rear window control - better to have 4 buttons (front/rear). The UK boxed "gift" was poor. Lots of examples of penny pinching on such an important model for VW.

I really like the car and can see the huge potential, but feel the UK 1st model have been obviously down-specified and this reflects badly on VW.
For me, vehicle range remains a major concern and one which VW need to address. However, it is a very well built, solid and comfortable car. As long as you're aware of some limitations going in, you'll be pretty impressed. EV's are becoming mainstream.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Thanks really useful. Range is my concern with ID4. Realistically I'm not prepared to forgo climate and get cold - too old for that now. I need to be able to guarantee well over 200 miles even in winter with A/c blasting and I don't think it is there yet. Otherwise I love the design, look and size of car. I will wait until there is an AWD (which I need and gather is coming later this year) and see how its range compares with an EV6 and Model Y at that time. I know people eke out range by switching off heating etc but I want a car I can get in and drive how I want when I need to without worry.
MrMe

Post by MrMe »

Hi, just waiting for my 1st Edition to arrive but have a question about lane keep assist. I'm coming from an XC90 with Autopilot which did a very good job of lane keeping. I was unable to test drive a VW with the lane assist so the question I have please, is the LKA (along with ACC) basically semi autonomous on motorways (appreciated it'll nudge for a grip of the wheel) or does it just wait for you to cross the white lines and then correct itself with a beep. Obviously if it's the later then not a very relaxing experience on long journeys.
NUK_Traveler

Post by NUK_Traveler »

On the range issue:
There are still least 2 further options to help extend range. First is to pre-condition car to desired temperature, before setting off AND whilst still charging. That negates heavy charge loss, to get to temperature, and significantly extends range. Second - there is an option to add a heat pump to vehicle, to reduce electric use in cold weather; waiting for more details, but apparently it's very effective in colder climates.
On ACC and LKA:
I've not yet done longer journeys using them, but I can live with them both, as they nudge rather than control (so far). There are adjustments for early, normal, late breaking with ACC enabled and I've just set mine to late, as it was a bit too quick on default setting. Early days, but so far, OK for me. The menu's offer options for adjustment for most autonomous settings and I've not had to adjust much. There's a nice vehicle display screen showing different elements.
tigga

Post by tigga »

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/s ... /heat-pump

heat pumps are more efficient (when cold) than resistive heaters. This means your range will be extended using a heatpump in the colder weather.
Preheating is essential to stop wasting energy getting the car to temperature from the battery... basic physics you need more energy to increase temperature than hold it.

Other tricks involve not using sport mode... (maybe on long drives use eco instead - but learn how it handles differently in that mode)

Then (given this sounds like your first EV) adjust your driving style to maximise regen on roads... long motorway cruises this doesnt work, so learn to use ACC. This all helps give an extra few miles.

Most reviews are saying real world is around 260 miles.

Oh another trick on long drives... consider the planning of stops... is it better to do two stops to 80% or 1 stop to 100%... charging from 80% to 100% takes ages in a rapid charger as the charge rate is turned down at this point.
Google id4 charging... there are a few videos where people have the charge profiles

In short, it wont be as far as a Tesla LR but it will be up there with where the rest of the pack of this size of car sit.

FInally what some of Bjorn's videos (skip the boring bits lol)... he shows how far he is getting and how long it takes to do a standard test route of different cars... eg the 1000km challenge is just over 10 hours including charge times.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The tip to get your interior to temp before setting off and whilst still charging sounds like a useful one. Then at the very least wont take much to maintain temp when travelling.

I've also driven BMWs in the snow and know how much of a nightmare it can be. However realisticaly here on the coast we see very little snow and in fact don't think we've had any this year at all. I think winter tyres could be a very useful option here, they offer better traction in snow than a AWD in normal summer tyres. Worth looking into?
Redfoot

Post by Redfoot »

Just as a thought, is the car set to charge to just 80 percent? That is default and the app allows you to increase, default is for best battery management.

Anyway I thought I’d ask as I’ve been trying to work out why your range seems so low.

My car has done 1215 miles and long term it is doing 3.3 mi/kWh. It will do 4 on a steady one hour non motorway trip.
tigga

Post by tigga »

Redfoot wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:44 pm Just as a thought, is the car set to charge to just 80 percent? That is default and the app allows you to increase, default is for best battery management.

Anyway I thought I’d ask as I’ve been trying to work out why your range seems so low.

My car has done 1215 miles and long term it is doing 3.3 mi/kWh. It will do 4 on a steady one hour non motorway trip.
agree Ive been getting about 3.3 mi/kWh which translates to about 250 miles and on 80% chargeabout 200 miles.
so getting 178 if you stopped with 10% charge still in the car, is quite feasable if you charged to 80%

Now here is the thing, driving in the cold, being heavy footed on both brakes and accellerator, all lower the mileage. You need to change your style too... which is why getting it up to 4.0 mi/kWh is possible for some journeys.
BUT you really need to rething and put in rest stops where you can top up the charge... doing 178 miles which is about 2-3 hours driving, its not unreasonable to think about a short stop and put in some electric... a rapid charger will put in 25kW in 30 mins... which would give you 80 miles... so stop, grab a coffe, use the toilet and stretch your legs. Actually we all might appreciate a little slowdown and rest in our lives!!!!
Texalian

Post by Texalian »

I'm two weeks in with my I.D. 4 here in Italy. Any Idea why VW recommends charging only to 80%. I have found zero on the topic. 80% just doesn't make sense to me.
NUK_Traveler

Post by NUK_Traveler »

There seems to be at least a couple of reasons why 80% is recommended:
Firstly, this is to protect/extend the battery life, as constantly charging to 100% iis not beneficial for battery.
Secondly, the final 20% charge is slower than previous 80%, so stopping at this point makes charge time quicker.
Hope this helps?