Wiltshire ID.4

New to the Volkswagen ID.4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

Hi all,

Will be taking delivery of our Blue ID.4 on Monday and very excited. We had a Zappi 2 charger installed a couple of weeks ago in preparation, which looks like the perfect compliment to our Solar PV setup. On Octopus Agile so looking forward to cheap overnight charging and free sunny day charging!

This is our first EV and we are very excited to see how it fits into our life style, and how we adapt ours to make the most of it.

Cheers,

Jeff
ID.4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
MyEnergi Zappi 2

tigga

Post by tigga »

agile or go? tbh agile is not the best at the moment... you need to run one of the apps which compares the pricing... for me agile is working out much more expensive than go.

Re zappi, I have one too with the solar, you might want to go the the zappi forum with myenergi and get some tips about tweaking the setup.
Do you have an existing diverter for either heating or battery? if you do and they didnt fit an extra ct clamp you might want to consider this, so you prioritise the diverter vs the zappi correctly.

BUt yes ID4, zappi2 and octpus go/agile are great combos.
wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

Currently on Agile but as you say I think Go may be better at the moment. I did look at the apps but not sure as they were not 'official' Octopus apps. Any you would recommend?

Good tip about the Myenergi forum I will take a look. I do have an existing diverter as part of the Solaredge PV. They did fit an extra CT clamp but I am not sure how the prioritisation works - if at all. I will take a look and call the installers if I cannot see anything.

Thanks for the tips and pointers, much appreciated.

Obligatory photo of new car included ;)

ID4 1.jpg

MyEnergi Zappi 2
tigga

Post by tigga »

re apps... octopus watchdog and octpus compare are both quite good.
re solaredge and prioritisation... it is discussed on the forum and very briefly touched in the manual.

CT clamp for grid, CT clamp for solar, and 3rd CT clamp for solaredge (set it to battery)
At the moment you cant look at historical to the battery but can see real time.

If the excess is less than 1.4 KWh it sends it to the solaredge.
If the excess is more than 1.4kWh it sends it to the car.

You can make it send to the battery all the time. Now because it is a heater not a battery, it means there isnt a max capacity to the diverter source (well there is when the water is too hot) but this makes no sense to prioritise this way around because basically you dont get to charge the car on solar, and there is no point in eco/eco+
Also you can tweak the 1.4kWh so the car is suplimented by the grid, and so this brings down that threshold of what is divered to the water heater.

Personally, I would just check the 3rd CT clamp is a battery and you see real time diversion to the heater and then to the car.
The only downside of this config is about the water therefore being heated more by gas. (or oil if that's what you have)

You will always use your solar so it isnt wasted, its just does more go to the car or the heating, and therefore, what pays for the heating given you are using less solar.

On the eco+ dont set the % to less than 75%, this means that you are suplimenting the solar with grid. When daytime go rate is about 3 times the nighttime rate, if you select more to much of a supliment from grid, you not only loose the benefit of free electric from the solar, but you also loose the benefit of the nighttime rate.
Again depeneding on your car usage in afternoon/evening... there is no need to select anything other than 100% (or maybe 90% if you know you have a short time with high excess)
wilts_jeff

Post by wilts_jeff »

tigga wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:13 pm re apps... octopus watchdog and octpus compare are both quite good.
re solaredge and prioritisation... it is discussed on the forum and very briefly touched in the manual.

CT clamp for grid, CT clamp for solar, and 3rd CT clamp for solaredge (set it to battery)
At the moment you cant look at historical to the battery but can see real time.

If the excess is less than 1.4 KWh it sends it to the solaredge.
If the excess is more than 1.4kWh it sends it to the car.

You can make it send to the battery all the time. Now because it is a heater not a battery, it means there isnt a max capacity to the diverter source (well there is when the water is too hot) but this makes no sense to prioritise this way around because basically you dont get to charge the car on solar, and there is no point in eco/eco+
Also you can tweak the 1.4kWh so the car is suplimented by the grid, and so this brings down that threshold of what is divered to the water heater.

Personally, I would just check the 3rd CT clamp is a battery and you see real time diversion to the heater and then to the car.
The only downside of this config is about the water therefore being heated more by gas. (or oil if that's what you have)

You will always use your solar so it isnt wasted, its just does more go to the car or the heating, and therefore, what pays for the heating given you are using less solar.

On the eco+ dont set the % to less than 75%, this means that you are suplimenting the solar with grid. When daytime go rate is about 3 times the nighttime rate, if you select more to much of a supliment from grid, you not only loose the benefit of free electric from the solar, but you also loose the benefit of the nighttime rate.
Again depeneding on your car usage in afternoon/evening... there is no need to select anything other than 100% (or maybe 90% if you know you have a short time with high excess)
This is great information, sorry for the delay in replying. Installed Octopus Watch which is good. Have to stop watching it though! Have also switched to Octopus Go - so now don't really need the app but interesting to compare.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide this, it is much appreciated.
MyEnergi Zappi 2