Active us of reversing sensors v reversing camera?

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
regaldridge

Post by regaldridge »

I am about to take delivery of a VW ID.4. on August 12th. I had requested a Life Pure due to budgetary constraints ... and was sold a City Pure which was described by the dealer as "exactly same as the Life Pure, just a name change"! Well it isn't the same we have now discovered, both the dealer and I. The City Pure does NOT have a reversing camera .... and that was probably my only mandatory feature in the first new car that I have ever, and will ever, buy.... Murphy's Law. My question to the knowledgeable forum members is this. Practically speaking will the City Pure reversing sensors and screen display do a reasonable job of facilitating reversing? The ID.4 is a much bigger car than I have ever regularly driven .... so I am just being careful. My dealer has made an honest mistake as far as I can see ..... and I am keen to keep the current delivery timetable for the car? If I change the order back to a Life Pure there will probably be a very long delay?

regaldridge

Post by regaldridge »

I am about to take delivery of a VW ID.4. on August 12th. I had requested a Life Pure due to budgetary constraints ... and was sold a City Pure which was described by the dealer as "exactly same as the Life Pure, just a name change"! Well it isn't the same we have now discovered, both the dealer and I. The City Pure does NOT have a reversing camera .... and that was probably my only mandatory feature in the first new car that I have ever, and will ever, buy.... Murphy's Law. My question to the knowledgeable forum members is this. Practically speaking will the City Pure reversing sensors and screen display do a reasonable job of facilitating reversing? The ID.4 is a much bigger car than I have ever regularly driven .... so I am just being careful. My dealer has made an honest mistake as far as I can see ..... and I am keen to keep the current delivery timetable for the car? If I change the order back to a Life Pure there will probably be a very long delay?
Munchi3

Post by Munchi3 »

In my opinion, sensors cannot replace the practicalities and reliability of rear camera when reversing.

The sensors might indicate the car is close to an object but in conjunction with a camera you get visual confirmation of where your car exact position relative to the object.

Also reversing camera can help when reversing out of a space, it has a wide angle. Something a sensor would not provide.

I personally would not accept the car if the rear camera is top of your requirements. I would try to get compensation (discount) for being misold the car and proceed to order the Life model.

I am waiting for my ID4 Life Pure to be built. The rear camera is also top on my list of requirements. I also read press release of the City model. When I ordered in June I saw the city model was discontinued and the Life was to become the base model of the ID4 range.

I double checked that the Life model has the rear camera before ordering.

I understand your position that your are looking forward to the car, but you might regret it once you take delivery of the car and find it difficult to park or reverse out of a space. Not sure if the dealership can retro fit the camera for free?

Good luck
ID.4 Life 52kWh Pure in Scale Silver

Ordered - 21/06/21
Build - Provisional build week 43
frankg

Post by frankg »

I recently purchased a ID4 Life Pro Performance, the specification of which includes a reversing camera. The dealership also confirmed that there was a reversing camera. Imagine my surprise to find there was no camera in the vehicle. The dealer was equally surprised and suggested that it may be a "mis-build" and took it up directly with VW. The response was to say the least disappointing, with VW simply dismissing my complaint and saying that the specification may vary from the brochure. This is my first VW after being with Honda for many years and I am not too impressed with the customer service in this respect. I now wonder what else may has been removed from the published specification and whether I can even trust the claimed mileage range. Anyone else had any similar problems?
D3RX

Post by D3RX »

@frankg - when did you order this? Is this a factory order or dealer stock?
frankg

Post by frankg »

It was through a main VW dealer.
frankg

Post by frankg »

D3RX wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:05 am @frankg - when did you order this? Is this a factory order or dealer stock?
It was through a main VW dealer and I ordered the car at the end of June.
Munchi3

Post by Munchi3 »

frankg wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 am
D3RX wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:05 am @frankg - when did you order this? Is this a factory order or dealer stock?
It was through a main VW dealer and I ordered the car at the end of June.
When did you take delivery of the car?

I ordered 52kwh Life Pure on the 19th June, my car is yet to be built. I'm told week 38 which is mid September, by the time the car reaches the UK I'm assuming it's going to be October.

To me it sounds like you got the City trim which didn't have the camera.

Ordered - 21/06/21
D3RX

Post by D3RX »

@Munchi3- I ordered mine almost same time as yours (June 21) Life Pure with alloys and according to tracking it’s still waiting for build week. Week 38 was the advise from the dealer. I guess dealers just assumed Life trim is the new City trim that they have in stock and sold it that way-
Munchi3

Post by Munchi3 »

D3RX wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:59 am @Munchi3- I ordered mine almost same time as yours (June 21) Life Pure with alloys and according to tracking it’s still waiting for build week. Week 38 was the advise from the dealer. I guess dealers just assumed Life trim is the new City trim that they have in stock and sold it that way-
I also added the alloy option, originally the estimated build for my car was week 35, but I was advised last week it's now week 38.
VW UK released the city trim in May as the base/entry level car qualifying for the government grant, the Life model was the next level up. This car didn't have the camera.

Then I think in June VW UK got rid of the City trim and made the Life model as the base/entry car for the ID4 range. This have the camera.

Ordered - 21/06/21