Declining Range

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
@DM

Post by @DM »

I took delivery of my ID.4 1st Edition in July. Initially I seemed to get a reported range of between 290 and 310 miles when fully charged. This seems to have declined dramatically. I am now getting a range of just 210 miles when charged to 80% and about 260 miles when charged to 100%.

I understand that the estimated range is based upon recent energy consumption. I believe my driving style to be reasonably conservative with a regular commute of 20 miles each way on a combination of dual carriage way and A roads.

What are others finding. Is 260 miles 'real world' range pretty normal or should it be better.

Thanks.
DM

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've read a few articles about the ID4's range and most seem to concur with 260 miles being about the norm in the 'real world'. Personally, I've only driven just under 200 before charging, but at that point the estimated range left was around 80.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
exwayf

Post by exwayf »

I would agree with around 260. We are getting about 230-240 at 80%, it improves when I drive locally. The figures get affected by using the fan/aircon, windscreen wipers, lights, etc. So I expect the range to drop over the winter.
ID4 1st Edition in Honey Yellow (77 kWh)
davidf27

Post by davidf27 »

I'm getting around 320 miles at 100%, but this fits in with my long term driving stats which show an average 4.1 m/kwh over the last 3000 miles.
But I must admit I rarely get to drive over 60 mph as my commute on the M4 is a 50mph average speed camera zone.
Blue Dusk FE ID4, Delivered July 2021.
Deleted User 251

Post by Deleted User 251 »

I seem to get 265 at 90% But obvs with dark mornings, nights closing in and rain and cold weather I expect it to drop somewhat in the next weeks.
andy

Post by andy »

4 weeks in and 2500 miles covered and getting just 3.2 mi/kWh. Decided when I jumped to electric that I wasn’t going to change my driving style so economy of use not my primary concern. Most mileage is M and dual carriageway and cruise set slightly above what it should be to get there 😉! Charging anxiety has faded and finding lots of charge points en route wherever I go so can live with the less consumption. 4 weeks in and loving the quiet drive and comfortable ride. 4 weeks in and loving the £13 company car tax compared to the £XXX / month with a polluting Arteon! Bit dubious about this heat pump on the Max as not sure it does anything, although maybe without it I’d be doing even less.
tigga

Post by tigga »

As people are intimating, look at your average miles per kWh this is typically between 3.1 and 4.1 depending on lots of factors including weather, road conditions, driving style, payload weight, and stuff plugged in/turned on.
Then you multiple this by either 77 if you charge to 100% for max range; or 62 if you charge to 80%. At 3.1 lower end, you would be 192/239 and the upper end if you achieve 4.0 it is 248/308.
Reversing the sum. You are doing 260 miles with 77kW, so this means you are doing 3.4miles/kW
If you are getting 3.4miles/kWh then you’re doing ok. I wouldn’t worry too much.
alanwright

Post by alanwright »

What am I doing wrong - was charging at 310 then over a period of time it’s dropped to 245 -260. And now after a 100% charge down to 210 and after 10 mls it’s dropped to 165mls
Getting a bit concerned. Thanks
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

It's been pretty cold lately. I wonder if this is what to expect with Winter conditions and an EV. What is your long term mileage per kWh and also on your last trip.? I think this is a learning curve for us all and it will pay to monitor situations like this very closely.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
tkid

Post by tkid »

I think the car factors in the outside temperature to determine what range it's able to achieve with the remaining charge. There was one time I remember seeing the range figure getting into the car - it was a cold day, and when I pressed the brake pedal to turn the car on, the range number started to go down (I think it went down by something like ~15-20 miles) before it settled on a final figure.