Build week delay until Jan 2023

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Acs.com

Post by Acs.com »

EvTom wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:43 am I also order in November 21, my 5th build week given to me was week 51 0f 22. But it have just been moved to week 8 of 23 with a delivery dates of 20th of march.
Wow you are lucky, I haven’t even got a definite build date yet, I wouldn’t mind but my ID4 order isn’t anything special, basic model “Life” with power tail lift in white, that’s it, I don’t think I’m ever going to see this car.
ID4 Life 52kWh pure performance 170ps auto in White, with performance pack plus Ordered 2nd November 2021

Acs.com

Post by Acs.com »

Just as a foot note to all this waiting for delivery of my new car I’ve just had to have an MOT and service on my current car, which cost me £250, it’s also soon going to need 3 new tires, this car is a part ex included in the deal I bought into when I order my ID4 back in November 2021. This is a further expense I didn’t expect, I’ve never waited this long for anything.
ID4 Life 52kWh pure performance 170ps auto in White, with performance pack plus Ordered 2nd November 2021
EvTom

Post by EvTom »

Generationgav wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:20 pm
I ordered a life pro performance 77kw with a towbar.
I wonder which bit is holding it up? As you'll be looking 17 months+ - I'm hoping to get mine in just under 12 months as a lot of people seem to have, it's a bit weird how all over the place they have been.
I'm not sure what the hold up is, but I've just been told it's coming in may now! So that make it a 18month wait, I've had enough now time to look else where.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

The problem is, you will be waiting even longer if you want to make a new order elsewhere. I have a Kia EV6 on order and have been told it will be at least 12 months for delivery and I think this is the situation with most manufacturers. I don't know what you would look for, but I wish you the best of luck.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

The MG5 trophy has a wait time of 3-5 weeks currently, it's also considerably cheaper than the ID.4 - not as nice but definitely tempting.
Markydee

Post by Markydee »

Tesla model y just reduced in price by £9k making it cheaper than the vw with hugely improved performance, a LOT more kit as standard, better tech etc. most importantly they’re delivering within 4-12 weeks! Just look at the amount already on uk roads vs id4 a which were made “available” in the uk 2 years prior to the Tesla.
I’m currently in the process of cancelling my order for a Id4 life pro performance 204ps which was placed in 2 April 22 and doesn’t even have a build week assigned so is sat at status “0”. Im on my 4th delayed “estimated delivery date” of 18 April 23 which 100% not be met.
I can basically cancel the vw order that has Been open for 10 months and re-order a vehicle that is superior in every single way for less/similar cash and receive it months before the id4.
Absolute no brainer and I’d encourage others to do the same - vw don’t deserve a stake in the ev market with the way they are treating customers at the moment. I’ve been given zero updates on my order that I’ve not had to chase and they’re completely unapologetic or even sympathetic when I do eventually manage to speak to anyone. Goodbye VW - hello Tesla!
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Have you had a test drive in a Tesla? Make sure you get a car that you like driving and not just because you can get in quicker. Most manufacturers have very long lead times, so the long time from ordering to delivery is no surprise. The other question I would ask is why are so many Teslas available on short delivery times when the rest of the world is struggling to get parts.
EO Mini Pro 2
Markydee

Post by Markydee »

It’s obviously personal preference but I have seen the Tesla in person (haven’t driven it granted) and sat in one and feel that they are superior in every way to the id4. Also the charging network is vastly superior. Pretty much all reviews seem to agree that the Tesla is the superior vehicle.
The only benefit the id4 had was a more competitive price but with recent price reductions of the Tesla this is no longer the case.
As for availability I can only presume that is down to be a better ran company with more weight in the ev market with suppliers etc. they also continued to order chips etc during the pandemic where short sighted European manufacturers did not.
To be 12 months on from order date and not to be a single step closer to delivery from the day it was ordered is ridiculous and from what I’m reading it’s likely to be 18 months or more so for me the swap to Tesla is an absolute no brainer
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a car that suits and is everything you want. One thing I'm sure of, regardless of wait times, is that I will not be going back to petrol or diesel.
EO Mini Pro 2
Generationgav

Post by Generationgav »

I have test driven a Tesla, and preferred the ID.4
There were a lot of nice things about the Tesla, the display, software and acceleration.
But the ID.4 I found more comfortable, smoother, better storage (shame no Frunk) and generally more family friendly. And I'm getting this car as a family vehicle, a lot of the options have been picked for my family over myself directly. Also I really wasn't a fan of the speedo in the Tesla as this wasn't in front of the driver and felt odd and borderline dangerous to me.
Tesla produce pretty much everything themselves, I read somewhere that VW have something like 30+ suppliers for the build parts. This seems to be the reason Tesla are able to make so many vehicles as they can prioritise parts, also they seem to be able to swap parts easily, if a chip isn't available they use a different chip and rework their manufacturing and software for the new chip which the legacy car makers struggle to do. This is how technology companies do things, even Xboxes (for example) will have different chips and internals without you knowing it. This also creates problems as Tesla owners as it can cause more reliability issues and more chance of software/platform issues.