2022 model reliability

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
hwjgage

Post by hwjgage »

Hi,

seeking some advice from those with more experience.

We have put down a deposit on a 2022 ID4 (77kw battery). I have recently been reading on this forum and seeing on YouTube ( a lot of reliability issues esp. relating to software. Also about slow response times and limits part availability from VW.

It seems like quite a few of these issues are reported by owners with older 2021 and First edition models running older software.

Does anybody have any experience and advice relating to new 2022 models and 2.4 or newer software. Have issues been ironed out and are the newer models more reliable?

Just wondering if we should cancel the order. Don't really want to loose £1k, but defo don't want an unreliable car given that we drive to France quite a bit.

Would be grateful for any steer (pun not intended), much appreciated.

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Having driven my First Edition for eighteen months now, I have been more than happy with the actual performance of the car. However, the software and updates are another story. I've had the dealer installed 2.4 update and the car is running fine. The only issue I have had since, is with charging at home on my EO Mini Pro 2. (This is detailed in another post). I don't think that VW is the only manufacturer with software/updating problems. However, looking at the video you posted, I am aware that there have been many problems with cars for the USA market and VW of America does not seem to be as efficient as owners would like. Having looked at some of their forums, they also do not appear to be the most patient of owners. Just my opinion.
Last edited by Warrior on Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

hwjgage wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:53 am Hi,

seeking some advice from those with more experience.

We have put down a deposit on a 2022 ID4 (77kw battery). I have recently been reading on this forum and seeing on YouTube ( a lot of reliability issues esp. relating to software. Also about slow response times and limits part availability from VW.

It seems like quite a few of these issues are reported by owners with older 2021 and First edition models running older software.

Does anybody have any experience and advice relating to new 2022 models and 2.4 or newer software. Have issues been ironed out and are the newer models more reliable?

Just wondering if we should cancel the order. Don't really want to loose £1k, but defo don't want an unreliable car given that we drive to France quite a bit.

Would be grateful for any steer (pun not intended), much appreciated.
as far as i understand it this guys main complaint is based on the fact he's in the US, and since launching the cars there VW have not provided any software updates at all, their cars are still on v2.1 or whatever version they were supplied with from the factory. (i think). so older car's are struggling because VW originally launched the cars too early before the software was properly tested & reliable.

its still got some niggles but it has greatly improved with 2.4 and definitely since v3 and now with v3.1 that's currently on the latest deliveries (sep/oct 22).
ID.4 Life 52kwh, Moonstone Grey. ordered 21/10/21, confirmed build wk 33, delivered 13/10/22.

Get £50 credit and switch to Octopus with me https://share.octopus.energy/wind-quoll-8400
hwjgage

Post by hwjgage »

Hi @MikeS and @Warrior.

Thanks very much for your thoughts and insights.

I had a similar impression, he’s US based and perhaps things are different over there.

It’s helpful to hear that v2.4 , 3.0 and 3.1 are making improvements to reliability.

There seem to be quite a few issues posted on this forum too so I was wondering if these are representative of a more systemic problem with ID4s in Europe.

Hoping to hear from the experiences of others as well.

Thank you both again.
kingkladze

Post by kingkladze »

I've had my id4 around a month and is running 3.1. I've not noticed anything buggy or laggy in the software at all. It takes a little getting used to as everything is through the menus and sub menus but certainly no gripes about it. I am even happy with the haptic buttons on the steering wheel and dashboard. I really don't understand how so much negativity is made of the system in my opinion
hwjgage

Post by hwjgage »

@kingkladze thanks for your thoughts. Interesting to read what you say about the haptic buttons, I was wondering how much of an issue they really are.

Cheers.
kingkladze

Post by kingkladze »

I've really not had any issue with the haptic buttons whatsoever. Contrary to some reviews I've seen/read, I've never pressed one by accident on the steering wheel. Yes the dash controls are not backlit but I've not found it a problem at night. Most would set the climate to auto and not really mess with it too much temp wise. You can turn it up or down with voice activation anyway. I think a lot of the negativity is a little inflated but then I'm running software 3.1 and no issues. The voice assistant seems to come on whenever my 7 year old talks though which is a little annoying but I thought I'd see how the stock software ran before reverting to android auto. Personally I cannot fault the car.
I charge mine off peak on the octopus go tariff and use the cars charging schedule to control it. Again it works perfectly.
I've just endured that youtube vid you embedded, that guy is super annoying btw. I must say that all his negative comments are not evident on 3.1 software, if your car is a 2022 model it will not be an issue.
icowden

Post by icowden »

I have a 2022 model (delivered in October) and have no problems with it.

Id like the software to improve in some regards, but I haven't had any issues with the vehicle or its reliability. It's a dream really. I watch my neighbours scraping away to get the ice off, whilst I get the kids into my preheated and de-iced ID4, enjoying the cozy seat and warm steering wheel ready to head off on the school run.