How Do You Charge?

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Vander

Post by Vander »

I thought it might be interesting to learn how we all do our car charging – to share tips, discuss any issues, etc.

Along the lines of:

- Where do you do most of your charging? If at home, what’s your setup?
- How much – do you graze, or binge?
- Any issues?
- Any handy tips you’ve learned along the way?

To set the ball rolling…

Most of my driving is rural journeys 10-30 miles once or twice a week, and the car’s taken on UK holidays three or four times a year. 90% of charging is at home, using VW granny cable from my garage.

I have a couple of solar panels on the garage flat roof, and use a grid-tied inverter. So I can be sure to capture the maximum solar, I make use of the car’s “Preferred Times” charging mode, and reduced charging current. I try and keep the charge level between 30 – 60% so there’s always some head-room in the battery.

Away from home, I have an account with Chargeplace Scotland (with the RFID card), and also Connected Kerb – I’ve linked the CPS card to this also. I don’t want any more apps on my phone, so will always seek out chargers with contactless payment if further afield.

Issues:

Preferred Times, is not always reliable, and appears to randomly switch to “Charge Immediately”.

When the car’s not on the drive and it’s sunny, I get charged for the electricity that goes out to the grid through my meter unless I turn off the solar (or switch on some appliances)

Tips:

None that you guys don’t already know!

Over to you….
ID4 Max Kings Red
Ordered Nov 21
Mar 23 order status: 10
Apr 23 Cancelled, tired of waiting.

ID5 Tech Pro in the meantime. V3.0 from the factory.

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Public charging is what I do. I don’t have off street parking unfortunately. I could dig up the front garden but that’s an expense I don’t want and isn’t very green. Dropping the kerb has to be done by the council and that’s nearly a grand. So I use the local GeniePoint chargers, not the best but I’m on Bonnet so it’s discounted. We have one in a park so I plug in, walk the dog and by the time we’re back it’s done.
I’m also trying to encourage neighbours with driveways and home chargers to join Co-Charger but so far no luck. ☹️
ID.4 1st edition
Deltadave

Post by Deltadave »

I’ve been using the granny charger so far. (3weeks after getting the car) Getting a box installed next week .
Pro 77kwh 3.2 software
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

we do a top up every other day, typically from 60% up to 80% using our 7.7kw home charger. We prefer not to let the range drop just in case we have to scurry across to our daughters in a hurry. We do carry a granny charger, but have never used it, even though the wife is .......... ;)
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red