Id4 - puncture repair - using 12v socket

All Volkswagen ID.4 related discussions
Bedford EV

Post by Bedford EV »

You all probably know that ID cars are fitted with “VW resealable tyres” and so no repair kit, let alone spare tyre, is supplied.

However, thought I should share the following:

In the event you need to pump up an affected tyre, and assuming you are not on a garage forecourt, you’ll need to plug in a 12v mobile pump (see Halfords or similar) and….

Clip the driver’s seatbelt into position even though nobody in the seat. Leave the keys static in the car, and then press the starter button on the steering wheel column so that the 12v socket becomes live. The display unit being active, despite no seat occupant, confirms your success.

Alternatively, buy a foot pump 😁

Hope it helps, especially for any occasional drivers who might be on their own when/if happens.
🤞
ID.4 Life 52kw 148ps in Moonstone Grey; 2nd order ID.4 Style 52kw in Kings Red

NickF22

Post by NickF22 »

There is also a fuse that you can change the position of, so the 12v socket is always live. (At your own risk, of course... I did it the day I got mine, and I couldn't tell you now, which fuse it was!)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Bedford EV wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:47 pm You all probably know that ID cars are fitted with “VW resealable tyres” and so no repair kit, let alone spare tyre, is supplied.

In the event you need to pump up an affected tyre, and assuming you are not on a garage forecourt, you’ll need to plug in a 12v mobile pump (see Halfords or similar) and….

Clip the driver’s seatbelt into position even though nobody in the seat. Leave the keys static in the car, and then press the starter button on the steering wheel column so that the 12v socket becomes live. The display unit being active, despite no seat occupant, confirms your success.

Hope it helps, especially for any occasional drivers who might be on their own when/if happens.
🤞
On my 1st Edition, there's no ned to clip the seatbelt into position, it just works after pressing the start button.
ID4 1st Edition in Dusk Blue Metallic (77 kWh)
EO Mini Pro 2
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Warrior wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:50 am
Bedford EV wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:47 pm You all probably know that ID cars are fitted with “VW resealable tyres” and so no repair kit, let alone spare tyre, is supplied.

🤞
On my 1st Edition, there's no ned to clip the seatbelt into position, it just works after pressing the start button.
I was just about to say the same. I used the socket to pump my bike tyres up the other day (lazy), I just pressed the start button to power it up.
ID.4 1st edition