Changing Headlights for travel in Europe

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
jond

Post by jond »

I am struggling with changing the headlight settings to take the car to France. I have an ID4 GTX on software version 2.3.0.
I go to 'Vehicle', 'Headlights', 'Travel Mode' and it is stuck on 'Driving on the Right' and 'Right Hand Traffic'. Selecting 'Left Hand Traffic' has no effect - it won't take the change so I am stuck on 'Driving on the Right' and 'Right Hand Traffic'. When I first started trying to change things last month I am sure changes were being put into effect but I wanted to make sure I understood the terms correctly.
The dealer informed me that in the UK it should be set to 'Driving on the Left' and 'Right Hand Traffic' so now I am just confused.

Can anyone offer advice?

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Interesting, I’ve just looked at my 1st edition info and it doesn’t show any of that but I do have software v3.2. There doesn’t seem to be any way to switch it over. However, I just assumed the matrix would work it out for itself just as it does on uk roads.
ID.4 1st edition
jond

Post by jond »

Thanks Andy
I have now booked it in to the dealer who will look at this for me. The car has been brilliant - the software not so much....
I have also booked an October upgrade to my software.
Derosa

Post by Derosa »

JohnD - when you say you have booked a software upgrade, don’t they become available online automatically?
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Derosa wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:44 pm JohnD - when you say you have booked a software upgrade, don’t they become available online automatically?
Not in my experience. Had to ask the dealer.
ID.4 1st edition
jond

Post by jond »

I only heard about the software upgrade when I rang the dealer to talk about the headlight issue. I had an upgrade in June 2022 and was told that allowed Over the Air upgrades going forward but it turns out that plan had been dropped but nobody told me.
jond

Post by jond »

Went to the dealer yesterday. Now it seems that the original definition they gave me of 'Driving on the Right' was wrong and that it actually means the position of the steering wheel rather than the side of the road you are driving on.
But if that is the case why do I have software that allows me to switch from Driving on the Right' to 'Driving on the Left'?
They also said that the car would know it was in France and so would switch the operation of headlights automatically (as Andy F said above).
Still confused.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

jond wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:44 am Went to the dealer yesterday. Now it seems that the original definition they gave me of 'Driving on the Right' was wrong and that it actually means the position of the steering wheel rather than the side of the road you are driving on.
But if that is the case why do I have software that allows me to switch from Driving on the Right' to 'Driving on the Left'?
They also said that the car would know it was in France and so would switch the operation of headlights automatically (as Andy F said above).
Still confused.
Left and right confuses the cars software. If you have set the heated seats, in eco mode when remotely pre heating the car in winter set to the opposite to what you think or you’ll heat the passenger seat instead of the driver’s. 🫣
ID.4 1st edition
jond

Post by jond »

Coda to this issue - had my 3.2 upgrade and the ambiguous/confusing language and options have changed under the 'Headlight' choice on the Infotainment system. It is now clear as to what settings to use. A shame that neither the dealer nor the UK VW Customer Service centre were able to help clarify things before the upgrade.