Slow Charge on DC

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
trible.st

Post by trible.st »

Hi everyone.
ID4 2022 RWD (delivered 12/2022)
Did not attempt to change on a DC until 01/2024, but the car would only charge at 23Kw on a 50Kw DC charger!
In addition, while the charger report 23KW, on the infotainment screen, its says 16kw. This gradually increases to meet the reading on the charger at 23KW, after 15 to 17 minutes.
I took it to the dealer, changed on their DC. The charges was reporting 25KW (they claim that their charger is only 25Kw), but the car screen was showing only 17Kw. Again, the figure on the car screen climbed to 25Kw after 15 minutes!
Does anyone have similar experience?

bubblebuzz

Post by bubblebuzz »

You should try watching an "Out of Spec Motoring" video on You Tube about "Yo Yo ing " the battery as you approach a charger. This is effectively speeding up and then slowing down using re-gen braking to cause the battery to heat up a bit. You do see an improvment of initial charging speed and also less of a dicrepenancy between the power that the charger reports and the power that the car reports it is receiving. On a BP pulse 150KW charger I can get an initial charge of 100KW most times with it climbing from there. I reliably get 47KW on a 50KW charger. Dont forget to drive responsibly this isnt meant to be a reckless act on the road!
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

@tribe.st Sounds a bit like my first rapid-charging experience, although that was more than a year ago. You'll find that charging speeds depend much more on the state of charge and the temperature of the battery than the power of the charger. You need to start from a really low state of charge to get anywhere near the advertised maximum charging rate; and that will only happen if your battery is already nice and warm (typically >20 degrees).

In winter, Yo-yoing can be quite effective in warming up the battery if you are about to rapid charge and traffic conditions permit. In practice at motorway speeds you can deliver a lot of regen power back into the battery without actually changing speed much. Deccelerating from 70mph to 60mph (and then accelerating and repeating) moves a lot of energy into or out of the battery, which heats it up quite effectively.

Either way if you start with a cold battery the charging rate will be limited, and about 4kW of the power supplied from the charger gets diverted to heating up the battery to the optimum charging temperature (which will enable faster charging). I'd recommend buying an OBD dongle and using an app like carscanner - really helpful for understanding what's going on, for example in enabling you to monitor the battery temperature.