reduced EV Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.4
gp1708

Post by gp1708 »

I had recently had a Hypervolt home charger installed with a capacity of 7KW per hour. However it will only charge at 3.8kw. I initially thought it was an installation issue but my daughter has the exact same car as mine but a year older and when we plug it in, it charges at 7kw. I have checked all the obvious settings in the infotainment system and everything seems fine.

I previously had a 'trickle charger' and that worked fine and when I charged on a fast or super charger that also works fine.

I had started a conversation with my VW dealer and I am awaiting a further response.

I have read a lot on the internet now of people having similar type issues with both VW and other cars but as yet it doesn't seem as if there is a successful resolution to the problem and neither the Car Manufacturer or the EV Manufacturer seem to take responsibility for the issue.

update: I have tried to charge on a local 7kw Genie Point charger and get the same result, 3.8kw. This would suggest it is almost certainly an issue with the car. I have been in touch with my local dealer but so far very little in terms of a response. Would I be better contacting VW UK direct and if so what are the best contact options.

Has anyone had the same issue and been able to successfully resolve?
Last edited by gp1708 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deltadave

Post by Deltadave »

I have a hypervolt too. I usually charge overnight on a cheap rate. I do notice that sometimes it get more of a charge than other times. I don’t know if temperature is anything to do with it?
Pro 77kwh 3.2 software
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I have a similar issue with Wallbox. Wallbox have been unresponsive in helping to fix the issue. Apparently there was a fix coming but that was about a year ago. They now don't reply to emails.

Anyway, if you Google "VW ID 3.8kw" you'll see lots of similar issues that seem to suggest if the car goes to sleep, it doesn't charge at the same rate.

In your case, it sounds like you only ever get 3.8kW no matter what you do?

In most cases, immediately stopping the charge and restarting it makes it charge at the full power. But that doesn't help for scheduled charges. I am about to try splitting the schedule to see if that helps: i.e charging for 15 mins then switching off and charging again.
Deltadave

Post by Deltadave »

I contacted hypervolt via the app,-apparently they are aware Vw have an issue.
They suggested the following;
So far we have two fixes. 1. This is probably the most reliable option, create a schedule on the car instead and switch the Hypervolt to plug and charge. 2. Create a a quick schedule 5-10 minutes before your main schedule to wake the car up
Pro 77kwh 3.2 software
Yeoy71

Post by Yeoy71 »

Hi I have an ID4 22 plate , 3.2 software,and for the last 2 nights charging I am only getting 5.6?
Why would this be happening?